Super Windy Saturday - Aug 10 2024

Started by Andy Hoffer, August 11, 2024, 03:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

What a great day for turbulence and cross-wind training.  The weather forecast was right on, with winds WSW @ 28 gusting 48 kmh.  The eddies off the tree tops extended well over our grassed area.  They became really nasty once you climbed to about 50 ft above ground. Nobody else showed up until about 4:00 pm so the ospreys and I had the field to ourselves for 2 hours of aerobatics, which were very challenging but a LOT of fun.  Clouds increased throughout the afternoon and wind decreased slightly by 4:00 pm.  What a great day.  Many thanks to Michael and David for serving up such great weather!!! 😎

Andy Hoffer

Frank v B

re: Andy's  " Nobody else showed up until about 4:00 pm so the ospreys and I had the field to ourselves for 2 hours of aerobatics.."

Not showing up appears to have been a good decision. 
When I asked Mark whether he was going flying his answer was along the lines of NFW!!
Thanks to him for the reality check.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

I guess I forgot to mention what a beautiful field we have.  This time of year is particularly nice with all the purple loosestrife lining the access road and the crop having been harvested, aiding aircraft recovery on the very very slim chance that a plane goes down off the runway.  The tall grass and other wildflowers by the parking lot make for a very peaceful space.  And when the wind is howling you know you are not the only one controlling your plane!  It's amazing how the ospreys are not at all bothered by the wind.  I guess they benefit from being above the eddies, but they must have gyro stabilizers to mitigate the considerable mechanical turbulence that accompanies winds gusting to 48 kmh!  What a great place.  We are so very lucky.  Thanks again to the board for this special gift, and to Frank and the instruction team for teaching cross-wind takeoffs and landings!!!

Andy Hoffer 😎💨