Toogood Pond Monday Aug 26, 2024

Started by GuyOReilly, August 26, 2024, 04:33:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

Not many people showed up (Only Alex and I).
The Rescue boat flipped on its back and required rescuing - See the video.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/6YVBZSZdUwU

Winds calm at 9 knots very good conditions and HOT!!

Also, no photographer to take embarrassing pictures of my fanny pack.

Andy Hoffer

Bonjour @GuyOReilly

So... Let me see if I understand this:
The winds were very light (we can discuss privately how the winds can be both calm and 9 knots at the same time), yet somehow the rescue boat capsized.  This does beg the question:  how did it happen?  A pity a photographer/videographer was not present to capture this seminal moment in history, so we will need you to paint a mental picture for us.

Looking forward with great anticipation ....

Andy

GuyOReilly

Well, it was like this:
Winds calm near the shore where we launch, 9 knots about the middle of the pond and it seemed the winds were changing directions at times.
The Recovery Craft was powered with a 4S battery and had a lot of power.
The motor is mounted above and behind the centre of gravity, without any up or down thrust, thus resulting in a downward moment of force.
The said moment of force pushed the front of the float underwater when power was applied beyond the displacement capability of the frontal volume of the float.
Once the front of the float was submerged and the CG located however slightly forward of vertical, the ship had no other choice but to fall spectacularly and instantaneously on its back.  So quick was that action that it may not have been captured with a camera having a shutter speed less than 5,000.   
Interestingly enough, the motor was running when submerged.
However, to preserve the motor from permanent damage, the Captain of the vessel decided not to used that mode of propulsion.
A good Samaritan pushed the recovery vessel using wind power as evidenced in the video.
I trust that the explanation is adequate and to the best of my knowledge accurate.     

Andy Hoffer

Bonjour encore, Monsieur @GuyOReilly !

Bravo!! Bravo!!

It is so refreshing to read an articulate dissertation! 

So... given the keen perception into physics demonstrated here, why was a racing power setup used instead of a slower but still strong power setup used?  Or at least a very low throttle setting.

My Nikon D500 has a top shutter speed of 1/8000 second.  Would that I could have been there to document the immersion event for posterity!!

Respectfully yours, 

Naval Cadet Hoffer