Sr. Falcon EDF Power - Kit Bashing

Started by GuyOReilly, Yesterday at 06:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuyOReilly

Winter project identified.
I had 2 - 70 mm EDFs laying around.
With 2 kg of thrust each, that should be plenty for a 6-7 pounds airplane.
Bunch of stuff to figure out prior to starting the build.
That will be fun!!    ;D

GuyOReilly

Quick calculation and the weight would be likely around 8 lbs. due to battery and 2 EDFs.  :o
QUESTIONS:
1- Should it be powered by 2 batteries or one?  The ESC are rated 70 AMPS and for 4-6 cells.
2- The nose wheel and steering is in the way of the planned battery tray. How about a tail wheel instead?
3- I need to test the engine/ESC/battery combination prior to mounting.  Any suggestions on test stand?
4- Wings are rubber bands mounted, how about changing to bolt-on for more rigidity?
Thank you.

Frank v B

Guy,

This is the original kit from the '60's or early '70's.  It is still all balsa (incl. balsa and ply doublers).  The main indication is the rubber band wing fastening.  The later revised kit's changes were lite-ply fuse sides but wing bolts.
re: EDF related questions- I know nothing.
re: nose wheel. Twin EDF tail dragger is radical.  If form follows function then that explains why there are few or no tail dragger jets.
re: nose wheel servo- If you are going twin EDF, where are you putting them?  If on the wing, finish the nose and put the servo ahead of the firewall holding the nose gear. Consider putting the nose wheel bearing plate ahead of the firewall as well.  This way the belcrank can be as far away from the planned battery hatch.

My two cents.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

GuyOReilly

Thank you @Frank v B these are useful suggestions.
I will use the nose wheel and place the servo forward.
The EDFs are located ahead of the leading edge and probably will be mounted below the wing.
One possibility is to make the wing with 2 outer sections leaving the main center section mounted with the EDFs (but detachable for inspection) with wing bolts.  That would make transport easier and field prep faster.
I have the design of the "reactors" from Aerofred and in the process of modifying them to fit and to have access for maintenance.
More to follow.