• November 20, 2017, 07:36:04 pm
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Trading Post / EMCOTEC Safety Power Switch
« Last post by Ex14th on Today at 01:59:46 pm »
Selling two new in package EMCOTEC Safety switches.

These are rated 18 to 60 volts input, with a 60 amp to 120 amps output.

I am also including for each switch, an optional item - an LED display, indicating that the motor has been armed.

These are very efficient safety (Magnetically armed) switch, 1. for obvious safety reason, and 2. also the benefits in avoiding arcing when connecting high voltage packs. A must for large scale electric flyers.

Bought them couple of years back but I digressed, now flying 3-cell put puts. Time to sell them at half of what I paid for.

One has EC5 connectors soldered on - $65 shipped.

One has never been touched - $70 shipped.

Take $10 off each for local pick up. $100 for both.
TEMAC Events / Re: TEMAC Board Elections December 6th 2017
« Last post by octagon on Yesterday at 11:20:33 pm »
Nicely said Frank, exactly.
TEMAC Newsletter / 2017-16 TEMAC Tickler, Frankenbuild
« Last post by sihinch on Yesterday at 08:20:53 pm »
Lot's going on right now.....

Thanks to Michael for a great talk on building with foam at the last Pilot's meeting.  Lots of inspiration there for our next subject.....

This Wednesday, 22nd November is Build Class. Are you up to the challenge of the Frankenbuild?  Also, bring in your repairs and projects.

Don't forget our Holiday Party and AGM on Wednesday 6th December.  Directors reports are being posted on the foum now. We will have musical entertainment again from "Maynard Hill" - feel free to bring your loved ones and guests (if you think they would have fun with a bunch of RC and aeroplane geeks!)

Stay warm & healthy!
Simon
TEMAC Newsletter / Re: Annual Report from the President 2017
« Last post by bweaver on Yesterday at 12:19:52 pm »
Thank you Simon and to the rest of the BOD and Micheal for continuing to make the club better each year!
TEMAC Newsletter / Annual Report from the President 2017
« Last post by sihinch on Yesterday at 11:43:59 am »
I think 2017 has been an amazing year; as I look back over my flying season I think it’s possibly been my best yet, thanks to the weather (I don’t think there was a time that I couldn’t fly when I wanted due to the weather) the new aircraft I’ve flown and seen at the Club, my lack of crashes (!) and the progress I’ve made in the aspects of the hobby that interest me.  It’s taken me 6 years since re-joining the hobby in 2011 to know and be disciplined around where my RC interests lie – WW2 fighters, modern military EDF jets, fast pylon style aircraft and FPV.  In 2017, I think for the first time I was able to resist many (not all!) purchases in other areas of RC aviation, which I consider both progress and a success!

But what about TEMAC?  You generously ask me to lead our Club, something that I take very seriously, so I ask myself “has 2017 been good for TEMAC?”  I think it has and I hope you do too.  Why?  Because TEMAC is TEMAC!

What?  Has Simon completely lost his marbles, I hear you ask? Maybe, but bear with me…..

What is TEMAC?  It’s a made-up word, the letters of which stand for, and make up our club. “T.E.M.A.C.”  But it’s more than that, right?  TEMAC is you, it’s your enthusiasm, it’s your involvement, it’s the way you all treat and encourage other members of the club, it’s the time you give and it’s the support you offer to keep our club going.  So from the bottom of my heart, thank you all, for making TEMAC an amazing place to be and be part of.
So how does the Club manage to keep that enthusiasm and spirit going and so successful?  Again, I think it’s because of “T.E.M.A.C.”  Which, in this case stands for our Training, our Events, you, our Membership, our Accounts and finally our Culture.

Our Training program is not only people’s first taste of RC flying, it’s their first taste of our Club.  The mood, enthusiasm and lessons delivered by our instructors shape the way new members interact and belong in our club.  So in addition to having the responsibility to teach people to fly at TEMAC, our instructors have an awful lot of impact on the ongoing culture of our club.  I’m not sure if our Instructors realise this, but I think it’s working and I’m very grateful for not only the time they commit, but the way they shepherd new members in to our culture.  Massive thanks to Michael Rogozinsky for leading our program this year, and all our Instructors – you did an amazing job.

The Events program continues to evolve and strengthen.  I think the recipe of having some Club organised events, in addition to some membership led events, ensured that we offered what you wanted.  Big thanks to Greg Hazelton for giving us the club favourites like Warbirds day, Jet day and of course the hugely successful Annual Fun Fly.  And big thanks to Bruce Weaver for the Cub day, and to Bill Quantock for starting the “BoB” tradition (was it 4 years ago now?)  Why don’t you suggest and/or organise an informal fun fly for 2018?  I am conscious that 2017 did not allow us to enjoy too much float flying, nor organised racing at TEMAC (although we had some amazing EF1 days in Orangeville, thanks to Ken Fluney.)  I will work with the Board try to find a solution to your needs in these areas in 2018.  We certainly seem to be winning with our Winter Events; who knew that we would sustain such an active club program during the dark, cold months of winter.  I love getting together with friends to discuss all things plane related before our Pilot’s meetings, and then settling down to listen to (and heckle!) the guest presenters.  Frank Van Beurden has done an amazing job, along with Robert Pike, Michael Rogozinsky and Bruce Weaver of creating a “culture of building” at the Club via our Build Nights, and we are very lucky to have Eric & Stephan Hagens, who broadened our horizons with an “Evil Quad” build this year.  Thanks Guys!

Membership numbers have been fairly stable for the last few years, and it’s great we get some many new people joining each year.  But every year there are some members that drift away from the club – some for a short time, some for longer.  I truly hope that the reasons are not to do with how the club is being run, but if any of you do see issues, please don’t be afraid to raise them.  It’s always great when lapsed members return, and when old members who may have moved away drop in for a visit, like “Naughty Ed”. 

The Accounts are healthy.  Very healthy.  You can read the details in Andy’s report, but it’s great that money is not a worry.  Andy does a fantastic job of maintaining our accounts and funds – please thank him when you see him.  While we were uncertain of the land status (it did sell, but as yet we have been informed of no negative impact to the club), we delayed some field improvements.  We will continue to review our infrastructure and maintain and improve it as required, but again, Graham goes above and beyond in terms of keeping our field looking and performing so great.  I don’t think Graham ever goes to the field without doing something to look after the field, so again, please thank him.  This year we were able to maintain our membership fees without an increase, and were also able to run some events where the Club provided the food and drinks.  I hope you all feel that you get value for money from TEMAC.

Last, and certainly not least, our Culture.  What I truly appreciate and marvel at, is our inclusiveness and lack of cliques.  Many of you mention it to me, but I love how we all get on with and relate to one another.  It’s a very positive atmosphere at the Club, which I think we should all be proud of.  Each of us brings something unique to TEMAC and we all have our strengths and quirkiness, but it’s the way we accept and embrace these at TEMAC that makes our membership truly great, I think.  Thank you all - please, help me keep TEMAC a fun, safe & courteous place to be in 2018 and for many years to come.

2018 is another milestone year for our Club; we will be 15 years old!  Let’s make it a special year – over the next few months I will be working with the Board, and asking you for input on what we should do to celebrate this achievement.  Let’s continue to make TEMAC the best RC Club in Ontario (maybe Canada? Maybe the whole world?!)

I wish you, your family and loved ones all the happiness in the world this Holiday season.  Here’s to a great 2017!

Cheers,
Simon
Our field is in great shape.  This year, the corn crop made for some challenges.  I think it also deadened the road traffic noise creating a nice ambience of seclusion or an aura of isolation providing sanctuary in an oasis where tranquility is broken only by the sound of spinning electric motors and roaring laughter.  We will probably miss that corn.

Field Maintenance and Improvements
Here’s what was done this year:
•   Spring clean up, including grass over-seeding and field rolling
•   Runway rolling and repairs
•   22,860 kilograms of gravel added to parking lot and laneway
•   New wind sock and wind sock pole in aviation colours**
•   Portable toilet cleanouts and upkeep
•   Weekly grass cutting from May through October
•   Parking lot weed control
•   Tall grass trimming along the laneway and parking lot edges
•   Fall clean up, including drainage channel clearing and laneway raking

**Bruce Weaver donated his time, material, and painting skills for the new pole.  Thank you, Bruce!

Safety & Security
Despite the hardships of the wall of corn, everyone seemed to adapt well and there are no major safety-related incidents to report. 

Of major importance to us all are the upcoming Transport Canada regulations.  We are currently under an interim order which is expected to become law in 2018.  Needless to say, MAAC has been actively engaged with Transport Canada to ensure the interests and viability of our hobby remain intact.  During this interim period, “MAAC members flying at sanctioned fields and events are exempt from the restrictions of that interim order.” You may find details at https://www.maac.ca/en/transport_canada.php.

Notwithstanding MAAC’s engagement with Transport Canada, some of you may wish to express your concerns personally.  Contacting your local MP or participating in petitions, such as change.org, are potential avenues to such end.

Due to its increasing complexity, I propose the next TEMAC board of directors consider appointing a volunteer for the role of Safety Officer.  Any volunteers?

In the meantime, thank you all for doing your part to keep our flying safe at our field!

Training
Training nights are lots of fun, sometimes entertaining, and always inspirational. 
From novices to seasoned off-field flyers, we had a variety of new pilots join our Wednesday evenings, including some moms & dads with their children.  Bruce Weaver continued his morning training sessions and Frank van Beurden managed the relationship with Ryerson U.  And where would we be on those new transmitters without Oscar Mok’s technical expertise?

We were fortunate to have Michael as CFI this year while we look for a more permanent candidate for this important position.  Michael’s contagious enthusiasm for RC airplanes is, perhaps, surpassed only by his fondness of the Beatles.  Thank you, Michael, who provides us this reflection;

“It was a rewarding experience to serve as TEMAC’s chief flight instructor this past year. The other instructors and I purposely focused on helping each individual pilot work on the specific skills that needed attention, and this technique was very effective. I believe every single student who came to most flight instruction sessions this last season has earned their wings, and they have all become very good flyers. In fact. a few were extremely competitive in our season ending Skills Competition. I look forward to participating as an instructor next season.”     --Michael Rogozinsky, November 2017

To all of our instructors and ground crew, thank you so much for your time, dedication, and making summer Wednesday evenings so pleasant.

Proposed Objectives for 2018
Here are some suggestions of the things to do:
Spring clean up                The “Loo” maintenance
Grass over seeding & field rolling         Minor Table repairs
Ground levelling for the loo and storage box   Geotex runway monitoring*
Runway and lawn maintenance          Fall clean up

* (installed May 2014, so 4th season flying on it.  The Geotex is beginning to show signs of deterioration along the centre seam.)

The past 3¼ years have been a lot of fun and it has been a pleasure hanging out with so many nice folks.  It being an election year, I do encourage everyone interested to come forward and lend your club a hand.  I am sure you will find the experience very rewarding as I have. 

Finally, my thanks to all of you volunteers who contribute and make our club so special.

Respectfully,
Graham McNicol
Vice-President & Director of Administration, TEMAC
Building / Construction / Re: Nov 22 next Build class
« Last post by Frank v B on Yesterday at 10:54:51 am »
This Build class is this coming Wednesday (Nov 22) at Col. Mustards:

- bring your build or repair projects.  We will help you get to the finish line.
- bring your questions.  We will get you answers
- bring your appetite.  Satisfy it over dinner.
- bring your FrankenBuild plane parts... fuses, tail sections, wings.  We will form teams if required.
- bring a sense of humour.  A build class without insults is boring. ;D 

On any of your Build Class projects please, please, please ask me for free parts* such as:
- standard size servos.  note: Warwing participants later on will receive free servos.
- wheels.  I have about 100 pairs up to about 2.5"
- control horns (have 200), servo horns (have 500, all makes)
- aileron extensions, y connectors, etc.
- balsa strips, hardwood for firewalls, etc.
- coloured covering for trim work.  I have about 30 rolls plus bits and pieces.
- carbon tow for re-inforcement.
- some power systems, especially for smaller projects.

See you Wednesday.

Frank

* many people give me stuff to pass on to deserving members.  People like John Kusturin, Keith Barrow and Bert Dunk  If I receive it "free", I pass it on "free".
TEMAC Events / Re: TEMAC Board Elections December 6th 2017
« Last post by Frank v B on Yesterday at 10:05:29 am »
Hers's my take on this post:

The current executive has done a great job and the Club is safe and fun in all aspects.

re: Simon's comments on the individual people:
Andy- you forgot that he gives me a hard time to keep me in line.
Graham- we all need to kiss his feet (muddy boots).  The field is always in great shape.  This boy takes his assignment seriously.
Greg- The events were great this year. Greg will always be Greg, balancing family life, work and model airplanes as best he, or anyone, can. 
Simon- re:"(and I don't really know what I do!)" . Please don't figure it out because you will screw it up. ;D Just keep going!
Michael- you can't find a more passionate and dedicated modeller.  There's a reason the field is called "Rogo Field" and not HinchField, HofferField, HazeField or McField. :)

It is tough balancing fun with personal responsibilities like family and work as both Greg and Simon found out this year.  If any of you guys on the executive are overloaded, just delegate the hell out of the work and spread it around.  Give us a chance to screw something up.  We will even take the blame!! :D

"Thank You" to this year's executive.  It has been a fun year. 
Jack would approve!

Frank
General Discussion / Re: Guy flies his own scratch built electric plane
« Last post by Wingnutz on November 18, 2017, 05:18:12 pm »
Mike,
Thanks for posting this! Wow! A project well done, the aircraft, the flying and the video! First class! I've watched it several times.
Haven't watched the earlier vids but assume the builder has experience as a pilot...the flying is very smooth and controlled and the aircraft is very steady, although unless my eyes deceive me, aileron inputs in some of the turns are being used to control bank angle against the rudder's influence.
Too bad this guy hadn't been flying the two Icons that were lost recently...I don't think he would have crashed!
BTW, anybody know if there are plans to kit this thing? Come to think of it though, it would need to be bigger to lift me!
TEMAC Events / TEMAC Board Elections December 6th 2017
« Last post by sihinch on November 18, 2017, 02:02:40 pm »
As those of you who were at the last Pilot's Meeting know, TEMAC Board elections are due in December this year.
Elections are due every 2 years.

The TEMAC By-Laws state that our Board is made up of 4 elected members, whose role it is to ensure our club remains safe, financially healthy, inclusive and continues to give you, the membership, what you want.  Once the Board is elected, the Directors decide who does which role and divide the task requirements amongst us.

All of your current Board members are willing to stand again, for another 2 year term.  But none of us assume the right to be on the Board.  If you think it’s time for a change, or would like to volunteer to help lead TEMAC for a time, you would be welcome to stand.

- Andy is our Membership Secretary and Treasurer (Director.)  He takes money, gives out membership cards, does the budget and tells us what we can spend!

- Graham is our Director of Administration and the Vice President.  He looks after Safety, the field condition and maintenance and the CFI & Instruction program.

- Greg is the Events Director.  He organises the calendar, plans the Summer and Winter events, organises volunteers and executes the events.

- I am the President (and I don't really know what I do!) I produce the Tickler now, I have the tie-breaking vote and joke about a lot.

- Michael Rogozinsky is an invited advisor to the Board.

As a Board, we meet once or twice a year, usually just after the end of the flying season (to review what worked and what didn't) and in the spring (to finalise plans for field maintenance and flying events for the upcoming year.)  Sometimes we have special meetings –but in 2017 we didn’t need any.  Most business is done via email and other than that we all just try to support the flying and planned club events.  We try to operate as a Board by the motto of the club and have fun whilst we do business.

If you feel perhaps that it is time for a change, please see an existing Board member before the AGM on December 6th to submit your candidacy.

Cheers,
Simon

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10