• July 06, 2022, 06:10:54 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

!!

TEMAC Forum Guests

Please take the time to Register for the forum, especially if you are a TEMAC club member.

This is one of the most active RC club forums in Ontario. Please participate in the discussion to help our great club to continue to grow.

Author Topic: Gordon Braun-Woodbury, TEMAC #14  (Read 2726 times)

Offline gordonbw

• Captain
  • TEMAC founding member
    • My RCGroups Blog
  • TEMAC #: 14
Gordon Braun-Woodbury, TEMAC #14
« on: April 28, 2013, 10:43:37 AM »
I've been around TEMAC since the early days and thoroughly enjoy the flying and friendship. 

So, how did I get started in e-flight?  Like many of my vintage, I messed around with tissue-and-stick and control line kits until puberty kicked in.  I actually built and flew my first electric kit in 1965 -- beat that!  It was called the "Electra-Fly", and was a 24" wingspan pod-and boom design made (in Japan) of very light styro with a balsa boom.  Believe it or not, the battery was a wet cell!  It comprised a 1" square zinc plate in a plastic bag.  You added salt water to the bag and the prop turned -- sort of.  It flew once, just barely fast enough to stay out of its own way.  The landing gear consisted of a single piece of wire with a wheel on the end bolted directly to the motor.... so, when it landed the motor self-ejected through the styrofoam pod, leaving it in shreds.  Does anyone else remember this item?

Fast forward to 1999, when I was looking for a hobby that my 11 year old son and I could share.  I remembered that model airplanes had been a bond between my dad and me, and decided to try it by purchasing a Windstar gilder and flying it at Riverdale Park.

Well, my son didn't exactly stick with the program, but I found that I really enjoyed the hobby    Through A&J Hobbies I got connected with the 14th Avenue crowd (Rob Pike, John Werner, John Kusturin, Michael Rogozinsky and the rest), who patiently helped me rise up the learning curve ... a long slow journey that continues to this day.

I've been through at least 40 models since then.  I've found that I get the most pleasure from planes I have built from balsa kits, but EPO foam Arfs have been a blessing.

My favorite branch of the hobby is soaring.  I also like scale aircraft, and flying in a scale manner.  3D and pylon are not really in my repertoire -- neither eyesight nor reflexes are up to it. But I am really hoping to give pattern and float flying a try this year.

Also, I am hoping to spend a lot more time at the field this summer.  For the first time in decades I have the opportunity to take a longish summertime break from work, and I plan to devote some of it to the hobby. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 10:19:39 AM by gordonbw »

Offline sihinch

• TEMAC Past-President
  • Global Moderator
  • Ace
  • TEMAC #: 124
  • Started Flying RC: 1987
Re: Gordon Braun-Woodbury, TEMAC #14
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 11:19:25 AM »
Here's to a great Summer, Gordon! Looking forward to trying the pattern flying with you.