What are your ultimate plans for RC flying?

Started by Gregor77, February 11, 2014, 12:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregor77

I was thinking about this last night.. what is the ultiamte plan for this hobby?   Learn how to fly 3d? Become a capable pilot.  Be a scale Pilot, Be the best?  Be helpful and considerate and teach others what we have learned?   

I know that we all percive each other differently in this hobby, but I am curious to what you strive to do in it.   I know that personally I like to restore stuff and fly scale. 

Michael

My plan, is to routinely go home with no more pieces than I bring to TEMAC.

(Consistent good landings)  ;D
Michael

Andy Hoffer

This is a very thoughtful question Greg.

I am right there with Michael.  Consistent good landings is the holy grail.  It implies achieving proficiency, including avoidance of unpleasant in-flight scenarios, in a sometimes challenging environment.   My number 1 personal goal is to complete repairs on my scratchbuilt Pitts Special and really put it through its aerobatic paces without incurring the need for more repairs.  I remember how much fun it was to finally fly it on my own and I want to get that wonderful feeling back again before I build anything new.

Number 2 is improving my Piker Class racing performance as this is a totally new experience for me.

In the meantime, though, my greatest satisfaction comes from photographing in action the great bunch of folks who make up TEMAC and the wonderful planes you all build and fly, in the hopes of helping to preserve the great memories of fun time spent together with you in a great hobby.  (And of course, the satisfaction derived from pushing Jack's buttons goes without saying!!)  :D

Andy

Gregor77

I would have to agree with Michael as an ultimate goal. Temac brings lots of components to the hobby as the flying to building to other activities. I think we all look forward to the pilot meetings, Wednesday training nights, build classes, etc.  I know went I started I liked to fly alone. Then again loved flying with others. The build and creating also blossomed as time went on. Although I tried to fly as many different types of planes as possible, I find myself settling to one type of plane and focusing on them now.  I am just concerned what the next step will be?  I might run out of room. Lol.

Andy Hoffer

Just get Rob and Frank to build a second storey on your place, as well as a storage loft for your garage!

In the meantime there are some empty hangars at Buttonville airport now that the Seneca College School of Aviation and Flight Technology Program has moved to Peterbvorough.   :D

Andy

Papa

Greg, you have only begun to scratch the surface of the hobby. The hobby is many things to many people. Some like just the flying while others like the creative side of the hobby but most like a combination of many aspects. Right now you enjoy the maintenance side of fixing up others tired or worn models. When you become a little more content and a little less impatient I'm sure the building side will snare you and then you will become another old/middle aged/young fart who plays with toy planes that he builds for himself.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

Great thread Greg and I like the above responses. 

As for my own goals I strive to try to improve and learn new things and technics be they in flying, construction or technology.  I have been bitten by the high performance bug and enjoy learning where the outer edge of the envelope is.  I flew on my own for a few years and I very much enjoy the comradery that TEMAC provides.  I hope to grow friendships and try to contribute to the club so I can have people to annoy in the near and distant future. 

Oh and I ultimately want to continue my sweep of the Piker racing series! 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

This is such a great question.

As a 13 year old my dream was to fly a scale Spitfire. With the foam models now you could argue that I have achieved that.  But I still hanker after a .60 size mk.1 Spitfire. So that's still a goal.

And like Ed, I have also found myself bitten by the high-performance bug. This surprised me because when I got in to the hobby it was important for me that my models were representations of full size aircraft.  But I would like to synthesise (or maybe even design???) the perfect piker class racer. I love how honest the high performance planes fly and how efficient they are through the air. I'm coming to get you Ed!

And I'd also like to build a satisfying kit or scratch build. Something not often modeled. Maybe the Fairey Firefly? I flew in the Hamilton one for my 40th so it would be great to model that plane.

And I really would like to be able to fly a nice, smooth, realistic aerobatic sequence but I need so much more practice. And therefore more flying time - is winter over yet?!

battlestu

Very good question.

Before I joined the club my goal was to have a successful flight with my super cub ;) After joining TEMAC I have seen and tried a few different aspects of the hobby I have a few new goals for myself. I haven't picked an ultimate goal as of yet since there are still too many things to try  ;D

1.   Participate (and win) an EF-1 race. It's a total rush flying off a 3 pylon course.
2.   Build a twin engine flying boat (Widgeon, Goose, ect..). Got hooked on float flying after I made a set of floats for my old trainer.
3.   Build a winning Piker class racer.
4.   Learn to fly non-powered glider and find lift by catching thermals. Also looking to get towed up or use a high start launch system.

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Polecat

Greg
You will win some F 1 races this summer at Orangeville and bring all the other guys up that have F 1 planes. Also don't for get the Nooner guys too, so they can try the 3 pole course.
Should be a fun time and hope for good weather.
Fly Fast, Turn Left!!!!

Ken

thehaze

Some my say that the day I was named CFI at TEMAC all my dreams came true....

However I would also:

1. Beat Greg a few more times at Nooner and EF-1 racing.

2. Fly the basic pattern sequence and attend a pattern contest

3. Spend more time at TEMAC

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

battlestu

Quote from: thehaze on February 12, 2014, 03:59:07 PM
1. Beat Greg a few more times at Nooner and EF-1 racing.

sorry I'll have to crush this dream :) ... but i'll let you have the others
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

piker

My goal is to find the time and the focus to build nicely detailed, scale models that I can enjoy flying.  I'm not interested in competing in scale competitions, but I do want to build models that represent the full size aircraft in a convincing way.  Of course my main interest is flying from water, so flying boats are my main focus.  I'm also appreciating the WWI planes and other aircraft from that era these day.

I also NEED to improve my landing skills.  I used to be good as landing, but in recent years I've gotten sloppy.  I need to fix that so I can stop wasting time repairing and get on with the building I want to do.

Although I feel ARFs are a fantastic part of our great hobby... they allow all of us to get new planes in the air and have a great time flying them, but as a builder, my goal is to have a modest fleet of models that represent a good cross section of aircraft types and sizes, and are all build by me.  Again, I'll need to stop crashing to make this happen.

Gregor77

Yes, the "world" saw Roberts landing on You-tube.... Could have been better...  :'(

gordonbw

I have a secret ambition to fly a very expensive 5 Meter scale Ventus in the Swiss Alps.  There, I said it!