Runway Usage Guidelines

Started by sihinch, May 06, 2014, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Now that we have our new runway , to minimise maintenance and prolong it's life, I'm going to suggest some common sense usage guidelines, until we develop some approved club rules.

Like I said, this is really common sense.

So for the benefit of all members and to keep club costs down, the new runway is not to be used for ANY belly landing aircraft (to avoid snags from control rods or servo arms etc) and I would suggest not for helicopters or quads (in case they tip over and cause blade strike) or any aircraft with a known undercarriage fault, like missing tail wheel or 1 failed retract etc.

This is all to minimise risk of runway damage.

Thanks

Simon

wollins

I'm guessing that flying boats (Sandringham, CL-215, CL-415 etc) might be the exception?  ;) Since there are no possible control rod contact (tip floats keep the wing from contacting the ground) and no possibility of tip overs?

Colin.
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

bfeist

Wouldn't a flying boat get carpet burn?

wollins

Dont know what the surface is like since Ive never seen one personally but it looks pretty smooth in the pics.  You might have a point though.  No biggeee, I was just wondering if these types of planes might damage the runway as well.

Colin
|
|
|

MarcV

I have a nitro float plane that I can bring.  It will deposit a nice thin layer of oil on the fabric that should make it easier for other float planes to take off.   ;D

Marc

dangaras

Was there yesterday, the runway is tightening up week. A bit of rolling and some more good, hot sun will make a huge difference.

Not everyone had seen the guidelines, might be a good idea to send them out via a general email to the membership.

Belly landers will most likely regret landing on the runway. The material may appear smooth but it will easily send off a millimeter of material during a takeoff our landing slide.

Happy landings

Wingnutz

Patched the first prop strike in the new runway today. 2" gash in the east sheet, straight out from pilot station#3. Please follow Simon's guidelines until we have something more permanent and LMK with a PM if you do spot a tear or create one.   KMAC got through their first season with a total of roughly six...we need to slow down!

DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

wollins

Was out for the first time for the season yesterday.  Nice runway!  I put 4 packs through my Nooner and it was all I could do to NOT to land on the runway! ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Michael

I have a suggestion for a rule for the new runway.

I suggest that birds are not allowed to use our runway as a toilet.

Should we put up a sign?
Michael

Oscar

Does the micros like the umx radian / umx icon a5 or the mini flyzone aircore planes okay to use the runway?  Some of those micros/mini, their wheels are too small to take off/land on the grass.  They are light running 1s or 2s with 250mah.

battlestu

I've seen the UMX Mig3 and Icon fly from the new runway... there is photos on the forum (just can't find the picture right now)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Yes, micro models (with wheels) can be flown from the runway.
Michael

Papa

I'm working on this as a start.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Coro-Boy

I stopped by Sunday night on my way home to take a look and feel the runway LOOKS FANTASTIC can't wait to gie it a try.

Mirv

Michael

Mirv, you WILL have fun with it!  ;D
Michael