TEMAC Nooner racer build thread!!

Started by Ededge2002, February 18, 2013, 10:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Slow progress, but progress none the less.

I glued the wings together and glassed the centre section, joined the elevator halves, glued the rudder to the fin, covered the stab and one aileron, then had to quit for the day to go for sushi.

Robert

sihinch

There's something fishy about your story Robert!

fprieto

just maiden it my one today !!!
what a nice baby.... it's really easy to fly it.

I'm very pleased.

Ededge2002

Great to hear another one has flown. I'm working away on a couple more.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

electroflyer

I better get my ass in gear and start building..... Ha, really just need to cover and done. It was a bit tricky setting up tail controls, but it is all working out. By the way Full house here.

Glenn

Ededge2002

Glen....  didn't you get the memo?  I requested you be disqualified just to improve my chances of winning.   My argument was based on the fact that the previous series they gave up giving the results because you had been champion for so long

electroflyer

Sorry, no memo received. But don't worry Ed, I'm sure my dumb luck is running out.  ;)

piker

That's right!  Dumb luck and a bit of cheating!... ya... I went there...

Ededge2002

If dumb luck is running out how the heck am I supposed to win?  Oh I know my plane is faster now because it has a fasst receiver!

piker

Some more Nooner building action last night.  Got the wings mounted and... well, that's about it, but I was glad to get that done so I have a reference for glueing the tail bits on next.  The rest after that, hinging control surfaces and linkages, and glueing the motor mount in, is easy.  I should have it ready by the end of the weekend.

Robert

piker

Hey Ed!  What was that particular tape you recommended for hinging?  Scotch brand ????

Thanks.

Robert

Ededge2002

piker

bfeist

Hi all,
I'm finally getting started. No secrets here, i'm using the motor from my Projeti since I don't fly it much anymore. 2700kv. 3s 2200s. Probably too heavy but not worried because my sunracer carries 2200s with half the wing area and a 1/4 the wing thickness. I have a spinner and a bunch of props to try. Reading this thread it looks like wing mounting servos is the way to go. Thanks everyone (specially Ed) for taking the time to document their efforts.

Pulled two vintage S80 servos out of the Projeti. Will use them for the Nooner wings, found another probably even older S80 in my drawer for elevator. I'm making my Nooner's rudder static. Servos all seem to work fine-ish. These servos are probably old enough to have been in the Nooner when it was first released. Will my Nooner be the only one in the line up with period servos?

I'll glass the wing joint but will just cover the rest of the wing with Monokote. I'm thinking of using a stub nose spinner and cutting out cooling holes in the fuse to keep the air flowing.

Any watch-outs or specific tips I missed?

Ededge2002

Would use low temp covering as its easy to warp the sheeted foam ailerons. Also would recommend elevator rod set to pull up. Wouldn't worry to much about cooling the little chin scoop seems to be just fine so far...