Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

My 2103/14 winter building project has just started.

This will be a balsa kit-built DC3, and will probably be finished in the Canadian scheme as in the image below.

There is a huge amount of balsa wood and plywood in this kit; see the image of the open box with a ruler across the box.

So far, I have spent over 2 hours just cutting apart and assembling the plans, and then removing most of the die-cut wood parts from their sheets and putting them into plastic bags, one for wing, fuselage, etc. You can get a sense of the size of the model by the photo of the fuselage side-view plan, also with a ruler on top for comparison.

I'm estimating that this will take about 4 months to build.

I will be using 2 E-Flite 32 brushless motors and 2 60 amp speed controls. I haven't figured out where everything will go, and I still have to order retracts.
Michael

imran13

Looks like its going to be really nice once finished ;D

Good luck with it Michael :)
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Very nice Michael. I love your choice of schemes its gorgeous.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Construction started.

Stabilizer skeleton.

Michael

Wingnutz

Wow! Another cool build from the Rogozinsky workbench AND...done in CANADIAN COLOURS! :D
Great choices! I'm really interested in the retracts you're planning to use...scale?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

Michael

piker

Hey!  I thought the Boss said you couldn't start building your new plane until you finished cleaning the garage!

Still, lookin' good!

Michael

Michael

Wingnutz

Guessing you're planning the Robarts #619 mains retract system for your model.
1. Have you figured out how to drive these electrically or are you going to use the air system?
2. I don't see any oleo or spring action in these units...am I missing anything?
I'm really curious about these as I think they might work on the Avro Anson dad and I are building over the winter.
Good luck with your gooney bird!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Michael

Michael

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

electroflyer

Nice Michael,

Where did you find that kit?

Glenn

Michael

The kit is still commercially available.

I got it at A+J's.

Michael

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Elevator construction done. That was quite a bit more work than I expected.

The fin is next, and it is a bit more complicated.

Michael