Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

It might have been a bit more work than you expected but it looks fabulous!

Take your time you've got all winter...
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

Quote from: Michael on November 02, 2013, 05:20:45 PM
Elevator construction done. That was quite a bit more work than I expected.

The fin is next, and it is a bit more complicated.

I was going to joke that you were "almost done", but then I saw how complex that stab and elevator is in the photo. She'll be a beaut when you're done!

sihinch

It's gorgeous.

Will you be offering rides in it?

Michael

No rides, Simon.

I've started work on the fin, which seems more complicated than the elevator/stabilizer.

There are two versions of fin/rudder construction in this kit; one simpler version and a scale version. I'm going with the scale version.

This small amount of balsa shown here already involves more than 2 hours of measuring, cutting, sanding, drilling and gluing; I could have assembled several Bind-N-Flys in that time.  ;D
Michael

sihinch

There was an almost complete kit at the London swap meet, I think Greg C may have bought it!

Michael

Fin and rudder construction well under way.

This was several hours work, but it looks pretty good.

The hinge line is the brass tube that extends top and bottom.
Michael

piker

It's coming along nicely, Michael.  It'll be fantastic when it's done.

Tom M.

Yup- she's going to be a beaut Michael. Any thoughts of a parachute drop feature, either people or cargo? Sure would be cool!
  Tom

Michael

With the amount of effort and cost going into this project, the main 3 features I want are:

1. Smooth takeoff.
2. Smooth, stable flight.
3. Smooth landing.

;D
Michael

sihinch

So, you want it all then Michael?! Lol

Michael

Fin/rudder main construction finished.

(The little Robert Pike in my head keeps telling me to sand it even more.  ;D )

Anyway, the fuselage is next, and I've got to clean up the mess I've made from the tail 'feathers'.

Michael

Papa

Looks great and moving right along. The model in London had some form of balsa blocker on it. I was reading somewhere that film glues much better to balsa block than to raw wood. I'm going to experiment with some water based acrylic and see how it works with film.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Fuselage started. I'll have to pay attention and start thinking about a battery hatch about now.

Michael

Papa

That's a big model.

Would there be room in the wings/nacelles for the batteries as in the deuces wild?

Jack.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

The nacelles also hold the retracted landing gear and the servos. I don't know if there's room.
Michael