Top Flite DC3 82.5" wingspan

Started by Michael, October 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuck

Michael

Still working on the fuselage.

Nose block glued on and rough-sanded, cockpit made into a battery hatch, more work on the tail area, dorsal fin built and installed, and lots of filling and sanding. I hope to finish the main construction of the fuselage this weekend.
Michael

bfeist

Papa

Looks like a real DC3.

Beautiful work.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Ededge2002

I'm glad to see your keeping the can of whipped cream out of your photos.

Classic lines of a beautiful plane Michael. It looks great
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

It looks like the last photo, but has at least 6 hours more work in it.

Still needs sanding, but a lot has been done, especially near the tail. A hatch at the rear bottom has been made in case adjustments are needed for rudder and elevator.

It's been 5 weeks so far, and I'm enjoying the building. At this rate (the wing is more complicated than the fuselage), I estimate at least 2 more months, maybe 3, to finish and paint.

I'll start the center section of the wing in a day or two.

Michael

sihinch

Looks fabulous Michael.  Thank you for continuing to share with us. :D

Michael

Working on the wing center section, ....

Between last night and tonight, I spent 2½ hours gluing together firewalls, adjusting ribs, making spars, and I still have more of that kind of stuff to do before I even get close to gluing a rib to anything!

Anyway, it's slow progress and there's nothing worth photographing at this point.
Michael

Michael

A bit of progress on the center wing section.

I'm mostly following instructions, but modifying just a bit for the servo-driven retracts and for electric power.
Michael

Papa

Look at the size and that's just the centre wing section.

Nice looking work.

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Ededge2002

As no one seems to follow my "beer bottle for scale" requests we need to come to some kind of agreement!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

The instruction manual in the photo worked for me.

I worked for Carling O'Keefe for a while and I can tell you have beer can fixation.

There is a cure for that, it's called wine!

or in your case whine!

Jack.
A motto to live by:

Gregor77

Michael

As we get older we sometimes begin to doubt our ability to "make a difference" in the world. It is at these times that our hopes are boosted by the remarkable achievements of other "seniors" who have found the courage to take on challenges that would make many of us wither.

Harold Schlumberg is such a person.

THIS IS QUOTED FROM HAROLD:

"I've often been asked, 'What do you do now that you're retired?'

Well... I'm fortunate to have a chemical engineering background and one of the things I enjoy most is converting beer, wine and whiskey into urine. It's rewarding, uplifting, satisfying and fulfilling. I do it every day and I really enjoy it."

Harold is an inspiration to us all.

Michael

Wingnutz

I don't have a chemical engineering degree but I follow Harold's recipe for a happy retirement...daily.
There is merit in Ed's attempt to provide a size reference for our photos and no, I don't want to see any pictures of TEMACers naked in their workshops using beer bottles as ... 8)
Really impressed with the DC-3!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!