Spitfire winter build

Started by the giant, March 18, 2015, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the giant

I began this project back in October.  It started out as a Pica 65" kit.  I has had some extensive modifications in the wing.  Significant re-design was required to install electric retracts in the scale location and flaps were added.  Some changes in the fuse were made because it was originally designed for glow.  Then the tail was designed as a slab plank which has been changed to a built up airfoil section.  I have begun to fibreglass the structure.  As you can see by the photos, i have designed it as a MK 5b (tropicalized version) with a "Vokes" dust filter under the nose.  My desire is not to produce "another" Spitfire but have one that is somewhat unique. 
See you when it gets warmer
Andre

Michael

Wow! That is nice!

I look forward to seeing that in person, and in flight.

Now Robert is going to have to settle for 3rd place in any scratch-built competition.  ;D

Michael

Papa

Looks great Andre, is it a clipped wing or just sans tips?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

sihinch

Wow! That's fantastic!

Fancy keeping that to yourself!

the giant

Jack,
A Spitfire looses a lot of its eliptical character when the tips are clipped.  They will get added. 

the giant

Quote from: Michael on March 18, 2015, 06:46:34 PM
Wow! That is nice!

I look forward to seeing that in person, and in flight.

Now Robert is going to have to settle for 3rd place in any scratch-built competition.  ;D
And you are going to have to settle for second!  :'(

the giant

I must say.  There are some pretty awesome builds going on right now!

piker

That looks great!  Another nice addition to your fleet.

Hey Michael, I hope so.  I'm out of wall space!  BTW, for the 20th anniversary of the Kingston Electric Fun Fly this year, I'm going to bring the award I received the first year in 1995 to show off   ;D

electroflyer

Very Nice Andre'
   I always liked the look of the extended filter housing when combined with the North Africa camouflage.

What power system? Retracts?

Glenn

the giant

The spit is being powered by an Eflite 110 on 8 cells.  It might sound a little over kill, but no one ever complained of too much power.  The retracts are eflite 60-120 electric retracts. And, of course, i really like the desert colours over the green/brown or green/grey.

the giant

Well, the fibreglassing work is proceeding.  It is slow.  I found the Minwax product that Michael used was very effective to apply the glass cloth.  With a light sanding to the cloth epoxy finishing resin is applied and sanded (and sanded...and sanded...and sanded :( ).  When the primer is on another picture will be added (hopefully in a week or so).

the giant

Just about ready for paint.  I need to fibreglass the wheel wells.  Then i must decide on the "completness" of the cockpit interior.  I still have to manufacture and install the exhausts (appropriate for the MK vc.

the giant

I forgot how quick and easy it is to vacuform parts.  Actually, all the time is spent making the molds.  The exhausts are just set in place.  They will be painted separately and installed after the painting is done. 

Papa

Very realistic Andre, looks like the real thing.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

the giant

The primary colours are on.  I used folk art acrylic paint.  People must think i am nuts as i go into Michael's craft store with my paint chips and try to match up the colours by opening the bottles.  Thankfully you can unscrew the cap and get a little dab of paint without undoing the sealed cap.  The next step is to paint the markings on.  (I must say, it was painful to paint my aluminum spinner)