Nieport 11 progress

Started by octagon, November 22, 2016, 05:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

Hi Guys,
As many of you know I have been working on a BUSA Nieport 11 1/4 scale for a while now. I got the graphics from Callie  the other day. Thought I would show you how it is coming along. The plane is the one flown by Canada's first ever ace, a fellow named Henry (Red) Mulock, who was born in Peterborough and grew up in Winnipeg. The name Abbey on the side of his plane was his wife's name. He survived the war and was involved with flying and airlines for most of his life. He died in 1961. There is still some work to do, but the light is now clearly visible at the end of the tunnel. I decided on pull/pull elevators and rudder, and it was a bit fiddly, but I really am happy with how it came out. I am planning on covering the wings tomorrow at the build class. After that the major parts are done, and I can concentrate on things like the gun and the rockets that were used on these planes.
What could possibly go wrong?

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

bweaver

Looking great Rob. 

So is the Warwing on the wall. 

;D

Michael

Michael

sihinch

Looks really, really nice Rob

piker

octagon

So I had a bit of time this weekend to work on the Nieport. Got the top wing covered (love working with Solortex) worked out the aileron  servo leads, finished the radio installation and painted the cowl. Just for fun I put it all together last night. Tonight I plan on finishing and staining the interplane struts as well as the landing gear struts.   

battlestu

:o... can't wait to get some photos of that one
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Wingnutz

Well done Rob! Your energy and enthusiasm for building are inspiring. Your model looks terrific! I'll get back to building sometime...if I can ever find my tools!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

electroflyer

Wingnutz

I'm impressed with the real airplane, the build, the model and the builder...but, shouldn't it be Nieuport...with a "u"?...Sorry, once a school teacher, always a school teacher🤓
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

bweaver

octagon

Bill, you are absolutely right.  I always forget if it is Nieuport or Neiport so I just use Newport, but you are right. I was one of those kids that never got picked for a spelling bees. Just working on the interplane struts. I got a neat little sander at Busy Bee that makes it very easy to do. Even has a port to attach a vacuum so no dust!

Michael

World War 1 airplane, right?

It's an Oldport !  ;D
Michael

octagon

Had a chance to finish the interplane struts, solder together the fuse (which is in the cockpit. Don't know if that is the proper name but it is that thingy that you solder in series to the ESC that you unplug so the motor cannot get power until you plug it in) and drill the prop. Basically I could fly this thing tomorrow if time and weather permitted. The roundels that Callie sent where too big to fit the top wing. When I emailed her, she very kindly is sending me new ones no charge. I am looking forward to flying this thing with the other 1/4 scale planes at Temac.