CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octagon

OK Bruce, why, and what would you use?
What could possibly go wrong?

bweaver

I have found hot glue to fail when used to secure a relatively smooth surface as it ages. Epoxy for example has a much better permanent adherence by comparison. A bump or two will cause the surfaces to become disjointed.  I have experienced it a number of times.  I do not use hot glue for attaching servos or other similar materials, because it just doesn't stand up.

The way I see it anyways....  ::)

I would use the wood frame and screws through the servo as originally designed to hold the servo in place.  Especially if I was building something of more value than a Warwing.

octagon

Thanks Bruce. I suppose with the amount of building in this thing building a couple of extra servo frames is nothing. Also if they are not glued in they are easier to change out.

piker

My two cents.  I almost always glue in my wing servos with a generous amount of medium CA.  The servos in my water bomber were glued in that way over 20 years ago.  It's permanent as far as I'm concerned.  It doesn't hurt to rough up the side of the servo to help the glue adhere.

When the plane is crashed, or retired with honours, I just pop the servo off with the flat screwdriver.  It will bring a layer of the plywood with it and it looks ugly at first but with a bit of sanding to get past the wood and glue down to the servo case plastic, the servo is pre-sanded and ready to be glued into the next wing.

Yes, it does make the servo ugly, but glueing offers a fast and secure way to attach servos in a confined space.

By the way... GREAT job on the Bomber builds!  Awesome!!

Robert

Michael

More formers; all formers, and lower fuselage formers started.
Michael

sihinch

Michael

Oh, you noticed, Simon.  ;)

Lower formers, keel and bottom sheeting done.

Michael

Michael

Rob and Glenn ....

I don't seem to have the top fuselage formers 1, 1A and 2, not do I see them on the plans.

Am I missing something?
Michael

electroflyer

Michael,
  Your fuselage is coming along good. I can definitely see the advantage of two solid sides as a staring point.
  My fuselage is coming along well, but my build was slowed down by the logistics of buried controls for the rudder and elevator. It required me to fiberglass the vertical fin, rudder, Horizontal stabilizer and elevators. Then came the sanding, filling and smoothing several times and painting with primer. I as of today have finally glued the assembly to the fuselage which will allow me to finish the balsa work and allow me the opportunity to start the wing. Here are some pictures prior to gluing the fin into position.

By the way, I noticed the F-16 toooooo!

electroflyer

You have to make a best guess for the nose formers. Pretty easy, just make some paper templates and transfer on to balsa using the height shown at each high spot on the drawing and the width of the nose section. It will look close. You can also confirm with Full size photos of the aircraft to confirm that your nose section is correct.

Michael

Thanks Glenn. I'll make the formers as you describe.

Your plane is coming together really nicely.

This "kit" seems a lot more like a scratch build.
Michael

Michael

Front upper formers.
Michael

electroflyer

Well done, that is exactly what I did. The only addition I would recommend is that you cut a slot and add a joiner down the centre of the three formers to keep them straight and stronger while planking the area.

octagon

Now you tell me!

I spent about half an hour looking for those formers before I figured I would make my own. I did not put that piece down the centre or the 3 bulkheads, I just sheeted them.

Michael

Planking on nose section done.
Michael