Remembering the fallen....

Started by thehaze, December 27, 2012, 05:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skyking

I'm embarrassed to mention the number of crashes that I had.
Lets see...Big P-47 twice (still repairable). F-5 the slowest jet at the jet fly-it was terribly out of balance and it is much shorter now.
My SU34 wiped out the gear and the nose got creamed when we tried a hand launch. Never got a flight out of it.
The big B-17 will fly again(Four more propellers!).
My Big SU 35 lost it's gear. My big Mig 29 burned 2 escs and probably 1 motor and still hasn't had a flight!
The Big F-18 was the victim of dumb thumbs but will aviate again.
Lost the gear on the big mustang, the big Skyraider and the big Corsair.
The most memorable was the spectacular smoke filled flight of the Vampire as it burned around the field. Got the gear down and landed on the runway just as control was lost. I am replacing burned wires and speed control. The airframe is OK.
I Think that's all. I love this hobby.

Gosh, I sound incompetent!
I really did have a lot of good flights this year guys...Honest.
Actually, I can.

Wingnutz

Ken,
You''ve certainly made the short list for CRASH King 2012. Perhaps you should  rethink SKY King? Thanks for dropping by to chat RC yesterday!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

thehaze

Quote from: Skyking on December 29, 2012, 10:46:19 AM
I'm embarrassed to mention the number of crashes that I had.

Don't be. It happens to everyone. Plus the way I see it, it's the risk of losing everything that makes this hobby so interesting to me. Nothing beats the rush you get after flying a plane for the first time, prior to the flight my knees are shaking and I'm scared out of my mind. After you land... you feel like you are on top of the world!

Crashing sucks, but it's part of the hobby. Plus it helps clear out the hangar and make room for new models!

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

From the land of the fallen.  I lost two airplanes this year.
1) The Chili Breeze- a .25 size pattern ship (48" span, plans from a British magazine).  It flew majestically for 15 years with an OS .25, switched it last year to electric.  Its demise was on the second day of the TEMAC funfly when it bought the farm.  I was not on the sticks but I ended up with a bag of sticks.  All electrics and radio stuff were fine.  Transplant surgery has been scheduled to breathe life into a new P-51 in about two weeks courtesy of John's Hobbies operating room.

2) My GP Rifle.  Great flying airplane with a sane power system (250 watts).  It proves that if you can't see it you can't fly it.  I lost sight of it on the landing approach (so did two spectators) and just shut her down.  A worm burner from about 70' altitude.  Replaced it with a new NOONER bought at the London Swap Meet.  Almost finished.

Here is my problem.  I am a repair guy.  The worse a crash the harder I try to bring the plane back to life.  Gotta learn to let go.  Stop interpreting it as rejection by my model airplane. :D

Happy New Year!!

Frank van Beurden
"Never trade luck for skill"

flying saucer

"In all seriousness though, Greg's always threw my planes well ... good strong throw at the horizon ... and he even looks good doing it.    Just look at the man's form in the video! (and you know he means business when he takes off his hat!   ) It's like the two bladed knife producing 1700 watts just inches from his hand doesn't even faze him.     Thanks Greg but despite your best efforts the pilot still put it in the dirt. "

Agreed, Greg was in rare form there!  ;D

Gregor77

Let's see,

I had one wing rip off in flight on a jpower F-16, first time using epoxy on a foam plane..  she nosed in hard... Fixed.
flew again last night!

The only big disaster was my Kyosho Spitfire.. But that is now fixed..just waiting for landing gear, but I think that was 2011?

Sounds like I should fly more and fix less... lol!

Bobmic

I always though that when a plane crashes it turns into a ball of fire - and apparently I was not wrong.
Bought a foamy Art-Tech P-51 in the summer which actually flew nice but on the second flight, climbing up and just when I pushed the rudder to turned it back down there was no control - it was high enough for see it nicely spiraling down like a real WWII plane and could only watch. Anyhow smacked into the ground and I decided that the only think I can do is take some pictures :)

Ededge2002

Wow. How long did it burn?  Looks like it didn't take long
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Bobmic

I think it took less then 5 minutes

Gregor77

Here is the Spitfire...

Before and after....

Gregor77

But it will be back for 2013...

Replaced the wing and repaired the fuse....  Just need some wheels... lol!