Frenchman's Bay Float Fly - Saturday Sept 15th!

Started by piker, September 11, 2013, 11:51:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Are you guys bored of float flying yet?

Well, I'm not!  I can't get enough, so I'm going flying at 4:00pm on Saturday, September 14th, at Frenchman's Bay, and nothing would make me happier than to have a bunch of cool people join me for the fun and pure awesomeness!

I may even have a fresh, newish, twin, flying boat ready to commit aviation that day.

I've chosen 4:00pm as a starting time as the evenings are getting pretty short, so we need to start a bit earlier.

If you can make it, bring a plane, a chair, and some extra layers of clothing as it'll be a refreshing evening.

Here's the location (at the B marker): 

https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Whites+Rd%2FRegional+Rd+38&daddr=Beachpoint+Promenade&hl=en&sll=43.811421,-79.092459&sspn=0.002648,0.005198&geocode=FbOWnAIdo85I-w%3BFa2FnAIdRCZJ-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=18&z=15

I hope to see you there!

Robert

Gregor77

piker

Although I'm really busy this weekend, I'm still planning to go float flying tomorrow (Saturday) evening (starting at 4:00pm).  The weather looks like it'll be ideal, and I have a refurbished plane to fly, with a new covering job and a new power system.  Can't wait.

Is anyone coming out?

Robert

sihinch

piker

Tell Lesley that we have to meet in Pickering to discuss basement renovations...  ;D

That's O.K.   I understand.  I have to miss the Sunday events because of obligations at home.    :-[

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

imran13

Come on Rob, your favourite type of flying - scale!
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

imran1042

I might be able to make it, but I'll get there around 5-6
Any day at the field is a good day :)

Papa

I'll be there, the Mentor is all recovered from it's attempt to imitate a glider with floats.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

imran13

sorry guys, I won't be there tomorrow. hopefully next time :)
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

piker

Well, the weather was nice, but it was pretty windy again with the steady on-shore wind, which was quite turbulent behind the trees.  But we flew and had a great time.

It finally did calm down, but just after the sun set behind the trees, and then it started getting dark.

We had about 7 pilots and several spectators.  I must say I was most impressed with Greg H's flying of his Eagle 2 on his own designed floats.  His take-off was excellent, and he seemed to be flying up a storm when I looked up from my work.  Unfortunately his plane was caught by a gust, just as it was setting down, and it flipped and cartwheeled in.  It sustained minor damage and will be an easy fix.

I test flew my refurbished CL-215 Water Bomber and it flew well and was quite a surreal flight as it was SO quiet, which was in total contrast to the traditional growl we would hear from the two geared, brushed motors that powered it for about 13 years.  Unfortunately, during the second take-off, one of the props popped off and the plane cartwheeled in.  There was no damage other than a lot of wet balsa and water trapped in the wing (I managed to get most of it out when I got home).  Still, it was nice to have the plane back in action and it'll be ready for much float flying next summer.

I hope to get at least one more float flyi in before the end of the flying season.  I'll let you know. 

Thanks to everyone who came out (and who has come out in the past).  I could go by myself, but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Robert

imran13

It looks like you guys had fun! Sorry I couldn't be there, I had some prior commitments. But I did get some work done on my Yak :D

Tomahawk

Must of been the day for float flys.  I attended a float fly Niagara way.  Turned out to be a beautiful day.  Light winds in the morning tapered to nothing by the afternoon.  Around 15 - 18 pilots in attendance.  Even without the winds, silly things would happen that would cause a splash crash now and again.

Chris

battlestu

thanks again for getting me hooked ;)... for those of you who missed out here are a few shots to enjoy
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

imran1042

Any day at the field is a good day :)