Float Flying 2014 Strategy

Started by piker, October 25, 2013, 06:19:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

O.K., I mentioned a desire to improve our float flying opportunities for next year after a rather disappointing summer this year for wind.  I don't have a plan yet, but I'd enjoy an open dialog on the subject.

Here are some thoughts to consider/discuss:

keep up our usual Saturday evening get together at Frenchman's Bay as people need to be able to plan and know there are events to count on.

Two to three "events" at David's place (the private pond we enjoyed this summer)

We still have a contact, in Fred, for Preston Lake.  A nice spot, but it seems Fred is at the cottage most weekends.  Maybe we can use that location for the odd weekday evening fly.

I have some other float flying areas in mind.

The problem has been the unfortunate windy weather on preplanned days.  The best way to get the best weather for float flying is to be spontaneous and be able to go with a days notice... or less.

Early morning flying may offer a better chance for calm wind and water and is a beautiful time of day (once you drag your butt out of bed).  And there would be less traffic on the water.

I'd like a more convenient retrieval system for when we have smaller groups where dunking is less likely.  Something to go along with the spontaneous concept.  And if two or three of us had a retrieval system, of some sort, the group wouldn't need to wait for me, and we, as a group, could enjoy more ideal opportunities.

I think a combination of all this would create lots of scenarios where we're flying from nice, calm water, in calm air, so we can fly our models without fear of dunking them, and as a result get more inspired to build nice seaplanes that last a long time.  Ultimately, that is my goal for myself and I'd like to see other's enjoying that too.  The pleasure of building nice models to be flown in nice, inspiring, environments is what model float flying is all about to me.

What are your thoughts?  Am I crazy?   ;D

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

What does Ed know?????
Hey Ed design a LiPo powered motor for one of these

Not crazy! Inspired maybe.

Instant Raft Maybe?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Og4160?feature=watch

Or something like this? The trick would be to have a reversible pump to deflate it.
http://www.survivalcampingstore.com/3-Person-Inflatable-Raft

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Wingnutz

I agree entirely with the idea of a combination of scheduled and spontaneous Float Flys. Suitable weather is crucial to Fun Float Flys and while you can schedule Float Flys, you can't schedule weather.
I like the idea of Dawn Patrols...especially on glassy flat water.
One of my nicest Float Fly days this season was at Scugog and calm glassy water was a huge part of a wonderful day.
I'm also wondering about a Float Fly at ROGO...see Rob...you're not the only crazy one! ;D
Float Flying at ROGO is really not as crazy as it sounds...silly cone spray makes almost anything slide on grass and flying boat hulls or seaplane pontoons handle bumpy grass much better than small wheels. This year, I've flown six different water planes off ROGO grass and I've given up trying to make small wheels work on the grass...it's not worth the aggravation or cost in replacement parts and repair time.
My pontooned Apprentice slid off the end of the grass today, slid a good ten feet into the beans and ended sitting upright in the beans...no damage. Try that with your wheeled model!
Gonna keep flying floatplanes right through the winter.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

sihinch

Don't laugh at the idea (cue Ed) but could we use an RC boat to get planes back? Like a tug boat?

Ededge2002

Quote from: sihinch on October 25, 2013, 11:58:01 PM
Don't laugh at the idea (cue Ed) but could we use an RC boat to get planes back? Like a tug boat?

Although Bill's sea planes have been working out well on the fields of TEMAC I have a feeling anything resembling a Tug boat would not work Simon.  Great thought though.   Oh possibly did you intend when flying at a actual water "field" ie lake ?
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Quote from: Ededge2002 on October 25, 2013, 06:27:03 PM
Quote " Am I crazy? "

Yes.

I know I am   ;D  If I didn't want to hear the truth, I wouldn't have asked the question.  BTW, I think we ALL are.  Look at how we spend our time and money   :P

Jack, I actually have that exact raft AND a battery powered reversible pump.  I've just never bothered to use it as the trailer lid boat is faster than rowing a rubber boat, and is more stable for picking up planes.  But you're right.  Something along those lines.

Bill, I've been flying my flying boats off grass for years.  I've used silicone spray since the '90's.  I would call it my "Lake in a Can".  I stopped using it as much when the planes became powerful enough to not need it (although I used some in Kingston this past summer to take my Macchi M-33 off the field.  Although it's nice to get more use out of our seaplanes, I wouldn't really call flying from grass float flying.  However, flying floats off soft snow is very much like flying from water.  Too bad it's so damn cold  :o

Simon.  Yes.  That is an option too.  Especially for close in dunks.  The plane is hard to drag while upside down in the water and we would need a way of hooking it up, plus, the idea is to get the plane out of the water as soon as possible.  So, here's what I've been thinking.  How about a system where an RC boat pushes an inflatable dry dock that floats under water (bordered by pool noodles for example).  The boat would drive toward the plane, slide the dry dock under the plane, then inflate the bladders to lift the plane out of the water.  The boat could then easily drive back with the plane in tow.  I think this would work well and would be supper cool.  People would choose to dunk just so they can use the boat :-)  I'll sketch something up.

Tomahawk

I like the topic of recovery boats.  Unless your plane is upright on it's floats, you are going to have a tough time pulling or pushing it back to shore with the recovery boat.  Looking around on the internet can give you some ideas but also a good chuckle with some of the contraptions devised.
The last video has a good idea of a fishing line attached to a small RC boat that snags the stranded vessel and you can drag it back with the line. 

Chris

RC rescue boat, RCBSA, boat lift

Boat Retrieval Stl Thunderboaters Style

Tom M.

This baby will do the job, particularly with Roberts's larger models  ;D
  Tom