Rc Lander Cougar 70mm

Started by Bobmic, February 06, 2013, 09:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Attached are a few photos of the Cougar assembly - I worked a bit on the ducting.
The plane has a cover over the cheater hole but the mold of the wing is the same as the older versions which means that there are all kind of angles and pockets just in front of the EDF inlet.
I ended up opening and sanding that area, also covered the landing gear wells in the wing.
The two halves of the fuse are not completely aligned and there is a ridge in the exhaust that I am not sure how I can sand as there is not too much room to reach inside.
I did make an exhaust duct but the outlet is currently 68% FSA  :-\   I will try to open it a bit more and see if I can squeeze it in.
The wing mounts with 3 ugly screws which I should somehow cover (will try add a photo in the evening).
- The main question will be ESC cooling - The only place I found is under the battery inside the front landing gear bay. The two options are either drill some holes in the plastic bay cover from the bottom of the plane or just cut a large opening and push the heat sink out of the bottom part of the plane.
I think the second option will be preferred as the ESC gets quite hot at full throttle even if it is rated higher than the current drawn by the EDF.

flying saucer

Looks great Bobby!

I also extended the motor wires and placed the ESC next to the battery in the front. This area is quite large and with an air intake located where the nose gear retract would mount, you should get enough cooling.

With the fan you're using, I would also recommend creating additional intakes in the form of Naca ducts as shown here:

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

flying saucer

Oh snap! Didn't think you'd go all Einstein on us..   ;)

Well the problem with these RC Lander foamies is they don't have proper inlet ducting. They sort of have all sorts of openings where air gets sucked in from. Apparently there is a duct mod guys have done to the Cougar that helps this out and turns this plane into a real rocket. I think Bobby has done it.

piker

I must admit that although my main interest is flying from water, and I'm focussing on a WWI biplane at this point, these EDF jets are looking pretty sweet!  Oh so tempting.

All the jets in this build forum look awesome!

Michael

Quote from: piker on February 07, 2013, 10:17:49 AM
I must admit that although my main interest is flying from water, and I'm focussing on a WWI biplane at this point, these EDF jets are looking pretty sweet!  Oh so tempting.

Piker, do you really need to get into jets?

I mean, do you really have such a competitive need to be better than everybody at everything?  ;D
Michael

piker

Im losing the plane count, so I have to up my game somehow...   ;D

Besides, they're just so sleek and flashy with all those pretty colours!

Bobmic

Hey Rob,

I guess when you are writing "Sleek and Flashy" you refer to the nice fiberglass models that most can not be flown at Temac as the foamy ones are not so sleek unless you spend way too many hours building and painting one...
I hate the fact that I have dings, scratches and dents on my plane only due to handling it and moving it around while building :(

thehaze

Why not? Michael has flown his habu 32 at temac.

Although sadly most jets have really tiny wheels.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

You know what they say about tiny wheels, Mike?!  ;)

flying saucer

Quote from: piker on February 07, 2013, 10:17:49 AM

Not to tempt you even further but...

Fully weathered and detailed RC Lander Cougar

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Bobmic

Hi Jeff,

I have seen both of these planes - the nice painted one required a lot of work, he completely sanded the original plane and add filler, than sanded again and painted.
First I don't have an air brush but even with a regular brush it will be ALOT of effort for a foamy.

Bobmic

Maiden-ed the Cougar today - one flight only to put a check mark :)
Was nice to take off from the hard snow with no wheels - plane flew very nice - first flight and no trim required.
Was not too fast but I did not add additional openings on the fuse beside the flapy doors that came with it and quite a bit of ducting inside the fuse, not sure what will be the effect with a larger opening and warmer weather is it was quite cold.
Anyhow the sound with the 6s 10 blade is nice and came back in one piece without even freezing too much.

...three maiden's to date this winter - others will have to wait for Temac and good weather:)

-The video is not the best even though I used the new Sony action camera which will probably go back cause I didn't like it too much.

http://youtu.be/NMHckYyhj0k

sihinch

Looks like it flies very nicely, Bobby.  And sounds awesome.

I'm jealous!  ;)