Rc Lander Cougar 70mm

Started by Bobmic, February 06, 2013, 09:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Quote from: sihinch on February 19, 2013, 08:15:37 AM
Looks like it flies very nicely, Bobby.  And sounds awesome.

I'm jealous!  ;)

I thought that you bought one?
It was a nice surprise to see it easily take off from the snow and fly nicely with no trim required.
I didn't try to do anything fancy with it but did notice it needs a bit of speed in the turns.

Bobby

sihinch

Honestly, I was put off this model based on your write up! 

I was struggling with fit of parts on my Hunter, and then when I read your discussion about fit on the cougar, and the ducting issues internally, I decided that I didn't want to go through similar frustration with the Cougar.

Can you persuade me otherwise????

Bobmic

.... Well... The ducting thing was based on information from a couple of threads. That was the part that was annoying.
Keep in m

piker

Very nice, Bobby.  That winter flying looks so nice while I sit in my warm office  ;D

Bobmic

.... Well... The ducting thing was based on information from a couple of threads. That was the part that was annoying.
Keeping in mind the temperatures yesterday I am not sure how it will fly in the summer. Maybe I shouldn't had to worry a about ducting etc. also keep in mind that I am a bit biased cause I don't like  Foamies ...
In any case you have significantly more experience than me.

flying saucer

Looks great Bobby.  :)

Very realistic scale sound as well!

It should definitely pick up some speed in the summer as well as reduce the amp draw..

Bobmic

Quote from: piker on February 19, 2013, 10:52:53 AM
Very nice, Bobby.  That winter flying looks so nice while I sit in my warm office  ;D

Yes the temperatures are a bit too low to enjoy I just took it out cause I wanted to see if it flies nothing more :)
It would probably be nice if I could tint that hard bright white and red a bit but I don't have an airbrush and am not sure how to do that without messing everything up..

Bobmic

Just for reference I did a couple of power measurements for static thrust and power.
Max power for the first 1-2sec with a nanotech 4.0A 25-50C is just over 1500W / 70 Amp at low timing. Previous tests with high timing increased the power to over 1700W with not much thrust increase.
I will need to measure the power in flight to compare.
As for static thrust I measured 1550gr with the canopy on and 1870gr without. The plane does not have a cheater hole in the fuse so static thrust is significantly effected from any change - I should probably sand down the inlet steps from the fuse.
I have added a thrust tube to get 80% FSA which is a couple of millimeters smaller then the fuse, I know that this reduces static thrust a bit but should increase speed. The speed measured from the video I took was around 150Kph (94mph), I am guessing the speed will increase in a warmer temperature but am not sure by how much in any case it flew nice but not too fast.
Total weight of the plane with battery is 1810gr.