Wanted 60" or so BALSA glider (see details)

Started by Ededge2002, March 18, 2014, 09:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

Im looking for a balsa glider to build. 

Im looking for new in box of what ever is out there.  I plan on powering it with a 100W or so power system and build it light to try to teach myself to actually hunt thermals.  I know your all stunned....  100W?...  Thermals?... Balsa?... Ed?

Look in your dusty crawl spaces,  top shelves and under your dirty old work benches for some gas bag type of plane and post it up.  The worst thing that could happen is open ridicule and finger pointing. 

Thanks for your efforts.

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Frank v B

Ed,

How about the House of Balsa Skeeter.  It is a 56" span polyhedral glider (HLG).  I have the plans if you wish.  I have built two of them and cut the nose off and put a speed 400 on 6 cells (7.2 volts, about 60 watts) and it went up like a homesick angel.  Very responsive to thermals.  It was straight balsa and heat shrink covering.  A Bl power system and lipo batteries would make it much lighter and powerful if you wish.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Ededge2002

Did he just say plans?

I don't need to go back to cutting out a kit.  They make machines that can do that well I drink beer. 

Please folks don't do what Frank did here suspecting that I wanted to do all the work to build a plane.  Gluing it together is one thing but growing the tree is quite another. 

Thanks Frank for YOUR efforts.

bfeist

I hate to bring it up (because once I do you'll have to buy it) but I have an original Sailaire kit complete with molded fuse and rolled plywood tailcone sitting right in front of me. Make me an offer. I think I paid $200 for it about 10 years ago, but I want it out of my basement.

My big yellow glider is a Sailaire. 150" wingspan, but I know you have the room and the inclination ;)

Ben

Ededge2002

Is the Sailaire your offering the 150" span one?  Oh goodness!  I wanted to finish it before summer!!!! That thing is HUGE!

bfeist

Ededge2002

The link you posted is frightening!  Did you read the first post? HAHAHAHAHA

"Even if you have built model kits for most of your life, this one will certainly have your wife and kids wondering what all the screaming and expletives are about coming from your work shop. If you have hair, you probably won't after you are done building her from pulling it all out. If you don't drink, you will before this kit is completed"

When I said 60" or so I didn't mean with a factor of 2.5!  Oh my this is painful lol

Thanks to you too Ben but wow 100W could be a tail rotor for that beast!

bfeist

I've actually been reading that build thread since I posted it here. Some great nostalgic comments.

One guy even posted a mod so the thing can be broken down into a small box:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754613#post8326609

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

michaely

Here's a link to a thread on another forum praising the DYNAFLITE Skeeter 1.5 meter all balsa glider as conversion to an e-glider with thermalling capability....
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44364

good luck,

michael

Frank v B

Ed,

Are you challenging me to build a Skeeter and bring it to the next Pilot's meeting so you can see what you are missing... while you drink beer??   8)

Only a few balsa sticks and sheets, not half a balsa forest needed for the Sailaire.

Frank

ps: I have already pulled most of my hair out over my modelling career.  That's why they call it scratch building. :D

"Never trade luck for skill"

rkhoo

Ed, you could have chop up a beat up DLG for your purpose.

As for kits, hum, I think a Gambler AG 50" wood kit would be nice. It cost about $70.

rkhoo

Ben, the 150" saw dust madness sure sounds interesting.

It is in the same span as a Paragon or even a Sagitta XC!

Ronald

ClarkY

Hi,
I have a Skeeter and a Mini-Challenger already built that I am willing to part with.  Please make me an offer.  The Skeeter is still an HLG model so the nose would need to be modified.  The Mini-Challenger has a geared AP29 in it so it has a fair bit of power the way it is setup -- still with a nicad esc in it though so you may need to change this.  ( Only old guys like me would know what an AP29 is :-) )

Let me know.  Thanks.

-Tracy