How to hold your radio properly. Explained

Started by thehaze, August 06, 2013, 03:03:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

I've mentioned this technique to some of my students. Here is a good article on the subject. It's in two parts.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

Admittedly I fly with just thumbs.  I've always been aware of the slight disadvantage doing so puts on me. Although I feel the reading exaggerates the "troubles" of flying with just thumbs I would agree that its the better way. Try to learn the two finger approach but if its uncomfortable for you know that the just thumbs approach can work just fine.

Sorry Mike I don't want to disagree but express opinion.  I was not given the instruction when I was learning and its too late for me to change.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Relax,  it's just an article,  not gospel.

bfeist

Strangely I'm thumbs left hand, two finger right hand. Who knows why. It would be interesting to see what it feels like to try to switch to two fingers both hands. Old habits die hard.

sihinch

I was lucky enough (in my opinion) to be taught with finger-thumb grip, despite having flown with just thumbs as a teenager.  It now feels very natural to me.

imran1042

I fly with just my thumbs, i have tried to use my fingers as well a few times and it just doesn't feel right and i feel like i don't respond to whats going on in the air as fast :)
Any day at the field is a good day :)

imran13

yeah same as Imran. When i've flown RC helicopters in the past its always been thumbs, and i've been flying toy rc helis for quite a while. So yeah it feels natural :)
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Tomahawk

Could you please rescan page 35 as the left side is cut off.

Chris

thehaze

I think the message here is that there is no one perfect way to fly RC. However, one of the most common issues I see in new pilots is them removing their fingers from the sticks (I can tell when you hear the familiar "boing!" when the stick centers itself rapidly). This causes all kinds of erratic movement with the model and simply by reminding the student to keep their fingers on the sticks at all times their flying becomes smoother.

90% of flying for a beginner should take place with the sticks around center, and that's a hard thing to master. My opinion is that the author is correct, that keeping two fingers on the sticks helps make this easier.