CL-415 group-build thread

Started by Michael, October 13, 2018, 04:37:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Quote from: Michael on November 26, 2018, 08:29:08 PM
Note to everyone: If you want to fly a Waterbomber, it is a respectable option to buy a stryrofoam ARF.  ;D

:(

Michael

Michael

piker

Yep!   ;D

... or just old fashioned

Michael

Michael

sihinch

Does anyone know where you can get a foam ARF from?

A shameless flyer

electroflyer

Hey Simon,

You want foam, check here: https://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/showthread.php?t=568350

Here is my fuselage at the moment. Still deciding my tail control surface installation, so I proceeded to work on the nose.

Glenn

octagon

Hey Glenn. That looks great. I am going down to work on the wing some more. Looking at the horizontal stabilizer. I am concerned about how to attach it to the vertical stab. On the plans, from what I can see it is simply glued to one of the ribs of the stab, and then sheeted around. It occurs to me that that is not a very strong joint. If the tail falls off, nasty things happen, so I am trying to devise a better, more secure, but still light solution. Any ideas? Michael, you care to add your ideas for the same question?
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Michael

Michael

More work on the nacelles.

Plywood doublers glued on (inside).

Formers very carefully trimmed to allow the nacelle to fit easily onto the wing (measure and test fit 10 times, cut once!).

Formers glued to one side, then the second carefully tack-glued while sitting on the wing, then removed and fully glued.

A nice fit onto the wing.
Michael

electroflyer

Rob,

This is the reason why I am sheeting the vertical stabilizer.
Some extra reinforcement may be required just to ensure that the tail assembly is strong enough for the odd bump and knock as well.

Michael

Front nacelle former glued it.

Triangle stock cut on the bottom (the inside edge of the curve), and then glued in place.
Michael

electroflyer

Very busy today on the CL415. I have roughed in the elevator control mechanism and will likely be able to set the horizontal stabilizer in place with adhesive. I am still just working out for the durability and dependability. If the links bind or worse yet fail, it would mean opening a access door (which might not be a bad idea). Anyway, we will see tomorrow.
Here is the fuselage today. It is now beginning to resemble a Cl water bomber.
  Glenn

electroflyer

Well guys,
  I did a little bit more today. This involved getting elevator control to the servo location. Given the bends involved, nyrods were not going to cut it. So bell cranks it is. As you can see by the photo, a bit of planning goes along way. The only thing causing problems for me now is sheeting the vertical stabilizer after the fuselage. If I change the pushrod in the fuselage from a Z bend to a quick connect, I will have the ability to sheet the vertical stabilzer first and the fuselage second.... Still thinking that one through. But that is part of the fun!

octagon

Glenn, I put my servos for the elevator and rudder in the vertical stabilizer. I am rethinking my decision to do that after seeing what you have done. My rudder feels heavy. I may redo it this weekend and move the servos forward.
Last night a bit more work on the wing. Added the forward portion of the ribs, the false leading edge and then sheeted the bottom of the wing. Hope to get the ailerons and flaps done over the weekend, as well as the servo mounts for them. I think I will then build the fuse and come back to the nacelles after you and Michael have worked them out. I just looked at the pictures i have attached and perhaps the first thing I need to do is tidy up the workbench. I am getting tired of trying to work on the 6 square inches that doesn't have tools or glue or whatever on it.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Both nacelles ready for sanding and top sheeting.

They are not glued into the wing yet; that will wait until after the entire plane is covered.

Michael