general bitching thread! have something to bitch about? post it here.

Started by Ededge2002, September 28, 2012, 03:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

I can add one.....Take the same drive to fly your new shoestring and wack it into one of the pylons on the landing. The damage isn't too bad and she will fly again .... It wasn't a great day for the Hazelton boys.

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

Some great material for the thread there guys!  I feel your pain!  Though rewarding the trials along the way in this hobby do deserve mention. Can't go along letting everyone think it's easy.

Sorry for your tough day but thanks for getting out there and representing TEMAC!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Greg and Mike - did you get on any posters or in any publicity material? For TEMAC?

Ededge2002

LOL Simon!  that wasnt JUST a poster that was in the Brampton Guardian!  120K copies of that are decorating peoples walls!  Did you want just the 5 autograped copies that you requested in that personal message Simon?

sihinch

thehaze

Quote from: sihinch on September 29, 2012, 04:45:57 PM
Greg and Mike - did you get on any posters or in any publicity material? For TEMAC?

Oh yes... A poster with us holding our damaged planes with the caption "TEMAC- Fly with the Best of the Best!"

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

electroflyer

Nice try Ronald,
   I'm in the upper right corner... with red hair, jeez..lol

thehaze

Rant of the day...

What is with this crapo weather this fall? I've been to TEMAC once in the last three weeks and even that day was a bit of a dog.

I'm not ready to put my toys away. Here's hoping for a brief respite from the rain and the 40km/h winds we've been having.

Grrrrrrrr.....

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

Im begining to twitch from not flying enough.  Possibly I will take up a less addictive hobby like smoking to help ease the pain!

Ed

Quote from: thehaze on October 19, 2012, 05:27:53 PM
Rant of the day...

What is with this crapo weather this fall? I've been to TEMAC once in the last three weeks and even that day was a bit of a dog.

I'm not ready to put my toys away. Here's hoping for a brief respite from the rain and the 40km/h winds we've been having.

Grrrrrrrr.....

wollins

Ok I have something to bitch about.  UPS. Years ago I vowed never to buy a plane online if the only way it could be shipped was by UPS. (because of "import fees") Well the otyher day I broke my vow and purchased a plane that only cost about 250 bucks and I allowed for aboout 15% extra for misc "fees" that I knew would be coming my way upon delivery. 

In the past these "fees" had ranged from 12% to 15% on average. So in this case, worse case scenario I was looking at about $38 or so in "extras".  Well imagine my shock when the guy showed up and told me that I owed $96.22 in "brokerage fees"! $%#@%  That's about 10 Hobby King lipos rghts there!!!

Moral of the story ... never again if the product is only shipped by UPS.

Coin 
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Ededge2002

YEP!  I only use USPS if its coming from the states.   Once i sent an esc to Castle for repair and i got charged 30 somthing dollars between customs and there "brokerage" fees!  I was pissed.  I already owned the esc it was just out for repair.!

bfeist

Quote from: wollins on October 20, 2012, 09:21:04 AM
Ok I have something to bitch about.  UPS. Years ago I vowed never to buy a plane online if the only way it could be shipped was by UPS. (because of "import fees") Well the otyher day I broke my vow and purchased a plane that only cost about 250 bucks and I allowed for aboout 15% extra for misc "fees" that I knew would be coming my way upon delivery. 

In the past these "fees" had ranged from 12% to 15% on average. So in this case, worse case scenario I was looking at about $38 or so in "extras".  Well imagine my shock when the guy showed up and told me that I owed $96.22 in "brokerage fees"! $%#@%  That's about 10 Hobby King lipos rghts there!!!

Moral of the story ... never again if the product is only shipped by UPS.

Coin

You can actually refuse delivery and tell them you plan on clearing customs yourself. They will take your package to one of their delivery centers here. You then do the paperwork yourself with the port authority (several locations in GTA) and it'll cost you $5. Then go to UPS pick up with your paperwork and get your item.

pmackenzie

Quote from: bfeist on October 20, 2012, 11:21:34 AM

You can actually refuse delivery and tell them you plan on clearing customs yourself. They will take your package to one of their delivery centers here. You then do the paperwork yourself with the port authority (several locations in GTA) and it'll cost you $5. Then go to UPS pick up with your paperwork and get your item.

While that might make you feel  better, not sure the maths add up.

In Colin's example on $250 taxes would be $37.50 leaving about $60 in brokerage.
UPS website says it should have been $45.60  brokerage plus taxes that would be $52.44. (Not sure why Colin had to pay more than this, more creative UPS math )

Take off another $5 for your paperwork and you then have to decide if your time+gas is worth $50 to $55.

But it would be nice to hurt UPS a bit.

You can see the standard brokerage rates UPS charges here:

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Fedex and Purolator can be just as bad, but they are sneaky. They drop off the package then bill you later for the brokerage fees.

Pat MacKenzie

wollins

Good to know guys, (Ben and Pat) but you're right Pat ... the hassle and savings (in this particular case) would not be worth my time ... simple solution? Go back to my resolution of NOT dealing with those courier companies again. (Unless its a model/part that I absolutely MUST have and can't get anywhere else!  ;) >:( )

Colin

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Ededge2002

Stupid weather people.  Should have planned to go flying today but they said it was going to rain.