Geotex Runway Installation Update...MONDAY EVENING INSTALL...VOLUNTEERS NEEDED!

Started by Wingnutz, May 01, 2014, 07:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

As of Thursday, May 1, morning, our grass cutter cannot get his mower started. We cannot install the runway until the grass where the fabric will sit is cut short. (Scalped) Unless someone knows another way to get the grass scalped, it looks like the install will probably be postponed for a week. Saturday's weather forecast also bears watching as the forecast windspeed and precipitation have both been upped since yesterday. We will make a final GO/NO GO decision and announce it here on Friday morning.
Delivery of the geotex material will not happen until Friday, May 2 at the earliest and possibly not until Friday May 9.
Thanks to all who have volunteered to help. We will get this done! ;)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

eric

Thanks for the update, Bill. I've got a doctor's appointment tomorrow morning, so I can't be there if that's the delivery date, but will follow the thread here and will come out on the dates I can.

Thanks for your efforts on this!

Eric

piker

If everything is a go weather wise and the delivery happens tomorrow, can't we just cut the area ourselves?  I can bring my lawnmower and cut the grass really short.

I'm sorry I can't be there during a week day morning to help with the delivery, but I'll do whatever I can on the weekend or weekday evenings.

battlestu

Quote from: piker on May 01, 2014, 09:41:53 AM
If everything is a go weather wise and the delivery happens tomorrow, can't we just cut the area ourselves?  I can bring my lawnmower and cut the grass really short.

I'm sorry I can't be there during a week day morning to help with the delivery, but I'll do whatever I can on the weekend or weekday evenings.

agreed i can also offer up my mower if needed
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

I can bring my mower too, but like TEMAC, it's electric!  ;D

Wingnutz

Thanks Greg, Rob for the offer of mowers. Thanks too to the guys who showed up at ROGO this morning (10!) to help unload the geotex, delivery of which had been cancelled. As of noon today, Brian has not been able to fix the mower but promises to spend his day off tomorrow fixing it. Will watch the weather and make a final decision about Saturday first thing tomorrow. Will post here shortly after 0700 tomorrow. Again, thanks for all the support. Reminds me why I like this club!

Bobmic

I can also bring my mower and will make sure it starts first - do we need a special scalping blade?
I guess if we bring enough mowers it might be faster if we do it ourselves.

Bobby

Wingnutz

Decided to postpone until next Sat., May 10
Rain and gusty wind in forecast for this Sat May 3, and light-moderate wind forecast for Sunday May 4.

Sincere thanks to all who showed support and generosity over this week! TEMAC really is a remarkable group. I hope the rain and postponement won't dampen our enthusiasm.

Consultant (Karl of Keswick), Team Leaders, Ed, Frank and Rob are all available Saturday May 10 and we should be able to get a better start at the day by having the grass scalped and the runway perimeter "trenched' beforehand.

Fingers crossed for better weather!

Bill

dangaras

Good luck guys! I can't be there next weekend but lots of pictures.

Remember your knee pads, gloves and Advil! Should be lots of fun.

Wingnutz

Weather forecast looks good for Monday (May 5)  8) and Tuesday (May 6).  :D :D :D
Rather than try for a weekend install, we're going to try fitting to the better weather forecast for next week.

I have arranged for the Nilex (geotex) to be delivered to the field Monday between 1100 and 1200 and require at least two able-bodied types to help off-load...please LMK.

Our Consultant, Karl of Keswick and "task managers" Ed, Frank and Rob have indicated a willingness to do an evening (two if we can't finish in one) install and ...Monday May 5 evening next week looks like the best target date.
We will need as many volunteers as possible and will arrange a barbecue for dinner. We're hoping as many 9-5ers as possible can make it right after work so the retired old farts aren't left carrying the bag...geotex or whatever.
If you can make it, dress warmly...it gets cold once the sun starts to set!
Spread the word to other members as it's short notice and post on this thread if you can make it so we're sure Monday will bring enough volunteers. We need twenty or more volunteers for four-five hours to finish the main runway...don't be shy!
Hope to see as many as possible Monday anytime after 1500!
BTW...RUNWAY WILL BE EXTENDED TO AT LEAST 225'! :D
Will post suggested tools in another post.

gordonbw

sihinch

gmcnic

thehaze

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

"Never trade luck for skill"