Can I run my EDF with bullet removed ?

Started by Wingnutz, January 28, 2013, 10:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

1. Have a 90mm RC Lander 12 blade alloy 6S unit which comes with a  "bullet" over the motor.
What will happen if I run the unit without the bullet in place?
2. Anybody have tips for how to get motor wires through thrust tubes? Every time I do this it's a really crude operation and I often end up chewing up the thrust tube or the motor wire insulation.(tastes rotten!)
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

thehaze

1. The motor fairing helps reduce turbulence. You might not get full efficiency from the unit, that being said you probably won't notice the difference.

2. A hole works well.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

flying saucer

Hey Bill, I've done this a couple times now (yes it is a pita) and have been able to streamline things a bit. What you can do is connect your esc wires to the motor. Then cut a slit from the fan end of the tube to run the wires a couple inches to your exit point where you make a sufficiently large opening. Then tape everything up (I use fiber tape) and hope it all goes in the fuse.

I use soft flexible plastic from office depot.

Wingnutz

Jeff, thanks...with your suggestion, less of a pita.
Mike, thanks for your #1...#2 works better than no hole!

flying saucer

No problem bill, have you done a watt/thrust test with it installed in the plane yet?

Wingnutz

Haven't run the motor in the model yet...getting close though. I bought a Castle Link last summer so I can display the data logged in my CC ICE ESC's on a graph...includes amps which is a bonus as my Watts Up meter can only handle 100 amps and this thing will be close or over. The ICEs log ESC temperature too, so should be able to tell if the ESC's cooling or not in its new location.
I'll try to post the graph for the initial run up.

flying saucer