2 meter (give or take a meter or so) electric powered 'floaty' gliders

Started by Michael, April 03, 2014, 04:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

I'm starting a new thread about the relaxing sport of flying electric powered gliders.

I know that Robert, Ben, John Werner, Gordon and I have models like this, and I suspect a few others do too. Some of these are simple 3-channel gliders and represent a simpler time of this hobby, of repeated powered climbs and glides. 20 years ago, this was a popular part of the hobby, most planes being powered by 600-size brushed motors, and with 6 or 7 cell nicad batteries.

Of course some of the newer ones are bigger and much more complicated, and there are also newer foamy ARFs that are ready to fly right out of the box.

It can be very easy and relaxing, and I'm looking forward to enjoying this at the end of a day of flying.

I bought an older ARF kit of a Spectra, and will be powering it with an E-Flite 10 brushless motor, and this should be ready for use in only a few days.

Does anyone else have one of these older (or newer) models that they can bring out for some fun flying?

Michael

battlestu

Got a parkzone Ka-8 for Christmas. Looking forward to getting towed up and giving the hi-start a try.

Anyone got any advice for a noob glider rc pilot?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

eric

I have a few thermal flyers (known in my SAM club as "climb and gliders") that I fly routinely on warm summer afternoons. If anyone is looking for a bog standard balsa & Moneycote type flyer, and not a foamie, HobbyKing has an E-Fair glider ARF (60" wingspan) for $43. With cheapo parts you can be flying for well under $100.

Included in the category are my Phoenix 1949, Feather Merchant, Dallaire Speedster and 100" Aeronaut Aero Master powered glider - all wonderful, floaty, relaxing machines. They are in order in the photos below. Not for the adrenalin junkie for sure, or maybe even the moderately conscious, but to settle back in a comfy lawn chair and spend a few hours thermalling is a great stress reliever. Ripping around boring holes in the sky is certainly fun, but it can get old sometimes as well.

I'm up for some soaring any time!

Eric

Michael

Jack also has a (jet) powered glider.

There's probably quite a few gliders in the club.
Michael

Ededge2002

I hopefully will have my Skeeter E finished shortly.  Its only 56 1/4" span so at just 1.42M I come up a little short of the 2M line.  Hopefully I will still "fit in" .

Eric the photo of you standing on the green grass of TEMAC is light of hope!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Quote from: Ededge2002 on April 04, 2014, 07:53:06 AM
I hopefully will have my Skeeter E finished shortly.  Its only 56 1/4" span so at just 1.42M I come up a little short of the 2M line.  Hopefully I will still "fit in" .

As mentioned in the title, this unofficial sub-club is strictly limited to floaty-type flying model airplanes with a wingspan of 2 meters, give or take a meter or so, so I guess your model fits in the class.

;D
Michael

piker

If I get out flying on Sunday, I'll bring my 2m Spirit glider.

Andy Hoffer

piker

bfeist

If it's calm enough to fly, i'll bring out my Sailaire. Wait, it's 3.8m--can I still be in your club guys? ...guys?

electroflyer

Mine is almost ready. All up weight appears to be 24 ounces.........Fffloater! I believe it is called a Highlight and was lucky to score this at the London swap meet.
Glenn

Michael

Quote from: bfeist on April 04, 2014, 10:54:14 PM
If it's calm enough to fly, i'll bring out my Sailaire. Wait, it's 3.8m--can I still be in your club guys? ...guys?

Let me amend the parameters.

The wingspan must be 2 meters, or any fraction or multiple of that.

;D
Michael

Ededge2002

Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

electroflyer

Thanks Ed,
   The closest I came to finding a name was out of an old Quiet and Electric Flight magazine which referred to a very similar model as a Highlight Speed.
But it was a 2 meter and I think this is a 1.8.

|Glenn

sihinch

I really enjoyed watching the glider antics today, and am maybe looking at getting a floaty glider myself.

I actually learned to fly on a slope soarer many years ago and got all wistful today.

I like the look of Erics HK recco, the simple built up ARF - thanks, Eric!  And the multiplex Solius looks quite nice too.....