Anyone planning on flying tomorrow ?

Started by Bobmic, February 01, 2013, 06:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: piker on April 11, 2014, 01:37:31 PM
I plan on getting out tomorrow (Saturday) for a test flight, but I won't be there until later in the day.  Probably evening.

I would think the driveway would be O.K. but I wouldn't venture onto the mud at the side, or onto the parking area yet.  But I haven't been there since the weekend, so what do I know  :)

I was out again on Wednesday evening.  Another beautiful night with clear skies and light wind.  I was able to back my van down the driveway up to the barricade at the entrance to the parking lot.  Parking lot and shoulders of the driveway are still very soft.  There is much less water on the low spots of the driveway than the day before.  Drainage seems to be working reasonably well.  Pits and field are still very wet, but not flooded. Boots are a very good idea.  Today was another good drying day so it should be nice on Saturday.   

Andy

electroflyer

I'm hoping to be at Temac around noon, hope to see you there. Just bringing a couple of small planes.

Glenn

gmcnic

I stopped by TEMAC this afternoon.

The roadway in looks dry but be careful.
The stream to the west has subsided and the gravel looks dry.
There are 2 washouts from the farming field south of the barrier, but quite minor.

The major problem is that the ground is saturated in the parking area, pit area, and between there and the pilot stations.  (Stand in the apparently dry parking area and wiggle your feet back-and-forth and you will see the water rise.) 

My recommendation is to back down the driveway to the checker barrier if you must, or enjoy the casual walk-in from the road.  (Personally, I would still park near road.)

Andy Hoffer

Great field report Graham.

Thanks so much!!

Andy

Andy Hoffer

SO...................

Some people intuitively understand what Graham meant when he said, "The roadway in looks dry but be careful."

And some might even take the drastic step of actually listening to Hoffer (granted this is a risky proposition) when he says, "...the shoulders of the driveway are still very soft."
But others just seem to need a more tactile demonstration of what we were talking about to really grasp this abstract concept.  So our selfless CFI, who is expert in teaching methods, graciously provided same today at the field.

Mike, you are true leader and your selflessness is an inspiration to us all.

Andy

P.S.  Mike went the extra mile today with a live demo of scale weathering techniques which can be applied to model aircraft.

thehaze

As always Andy you seem to catch me at my finest.

Yes, it's true, my dedication to teaching is boundless. It's a good thing my flying was better than my driving today. It was great to finally be back flying at TEMAC for another season of fun and flying.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

gmcnic

Hilarious photos!

Poor Mike didn't read or heed the advice.  ::)
I am sure it was all about courtesy parking...

But it all worked out and did not affect his great flying!
I really enjoyed my time with everyone today, thank you all.

Andy Hoffer

Dear Mike:

I just showed my wife the photos of you being stuck and getting towed out.  She wondered why you couldn't get out yourself since you have one of those B-A 4WD SUV things.......

I couldn't come up with a good answer. 

Could you help me out ???

Andy

gmcnic

Glider Greg scores more airtime with a tow from Andy.
(Andy sure seems happy at the end  :) )

http://youtu.be/hVCqUxMVnJs

Ededge2002

Great job guys with the glider tow! 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on April 12, 2014, 11:04:27 PM
Dear Mike:

I just showed my wife the photos of you being stuck and getting towed out.  She wondered why you couldn't get out yourself since you have one of those B-A 4WD SUV things.......

I couldn't come up with a good answer. 

Could you help me out ???

Andy

Well Snoballs, it's very technical. Basically,

1. The vehicle is not equipped with 4wd or awd.

2. Mud is very slippery

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Mike,

That is the same place I helped pull you out of last spring when you got stuck trying to do a 16 point turn!!! :-[
"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it".

The first sign of spring used to be when the first Toronto snowmobiler goes through the ice on Lake Simcoe.  So now it becomes....when Mike H gets stuck at TEMAC.... as long as spring gets here.

Glad you got out. :)

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

imran13

Just drove by the field, parking area still has huge puddles and there was one red car just arriving. Conditions looked pretty good though. 
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Andy Hoffer

It was another great spring flying day.  I was there from 11:30 to 3:50.  Ken Ross came by and flew a new Cessna and couple of jets. Later on Greg C came by to show me his "new" 19 lb scale Lancaster.  All in all, pretty quiet, considering the great weather.  Lots of flow through the driveway washouts due to the heavy rain last night, and the ground is really squishy, but the flying was good. 

Unfortunately no Mike.  Too bad considering the increased variety of nice super-soft parking spots along the shoulder of the driveway!!  ;D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: gmcnic on April 13, 2014, 10:14:15 AM
Glider Greg scores more airtime with a tow from Andy.
(Andy sure seems happy at the end  :) )

http://youtu.be/hVCqUxMVnJs

That Andy guy has no shame!!   ;D