Flew today - Wow! It's soggy!

Started by Michael, March 14, 2012, 06:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Well, I left work early and went out to fly at TEMAC.

There were 4 or 5 others there, and we all had to park right at the entrance.

(We can't park on the road; we have to park on our driveway.)

The driveway was full of mud, and the entire pits and field is very soggy.

Anyway, I had a couple flights with my brushless Twinstar, sharing controls with Jack; I flew my Habu including a take off from the soggy grass, and I maindened my micro F-86.
Jack had 2 really nice flights with his foamy jet.

The weather was too nice to stay away.

We really need a couple weeks of warm and dry weather for the field to be in better shape.
Michael

Papa

It was very bad. Even standing at the tables sucked up water to the surface and it became very sticky and acted like glue. Really it will be close to the end of March before it will be safe. All we are doing now is causing damage to the grass and the driveway.

Jack.

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

thehaze

It was a nice day. The condition of the field is no surprise (except we are usually having this discussion a month from now!) with the frost coming out of the ground and the way that field drains it going to be a mess.

I hope everyone heeds Michael and Jacks advice and keeps their cars off the field for little while. Or at least volunteers to repair the damage they cause. Be patient boys, lots of flying ahead soon!
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

battlestu

...what no pictures for those of us stuck inside solving the worlds computer problems??
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Gregor77

The planes wheels just get stuck.  :-X

I tried to fly at the park and they just dig in.  I would not even consider the field right now.    I am going to wait for a bit...  ::)

i

thehaze

Went by the field today. The parking area and the lower part of the driveway are really quite bad. Lot's of people have been driving on it and are making a giant mess. Greg and I put up a road block at the end of the end of the road at near the parking area to try to encourage people to stay off with their cars. Hopefully that will discourage some folks from continuing their quest to get their cars stuck and from destroying the parking area. However I'm not certain that it will work, sadly.

Oh and no I did not drive onto the field. I parked near the road and walked in. Rubber boots are essential...
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

battlestu

here are some washed out images of the field
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

ICK!  Well despite the fact I want to fly I'm going to stay away from the field for a bit. The warm temperatures predicted for next week should dry that up if we stay off of it. Making ruts and spinning up the grass will just prolong the pain. Let's all try to finish up some crap our wives have us to do making more time for when the field is better!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Michael

Michael

pmackenzie

With the weather today it is very hard not to make the trip out there to get in some flights, but those pictures convinced me.

Got some heli flying in locally though, about 20 flights (so far) ;D

12 on my MCPx, 4 on my just completed HK450TT Pro, and 3 on my Maxir. Did a bunch of inverted hovering with the MCPx and Maxir.
Too small a field, new a heli and not enough guts to do it with the 450  :-[

The MCPx is great for learning this since it is almost indestructible and not very intimidating, but it tends to blow out the tail very easily when it flips.
Then you are faced with figuring out which way it is pointing while trying to get it stabilized inverted.

Much easier to  flip the bigger Maxir to inverted, the driven tail stays nicely locked and there is much more reserve power.
The 450 will probably be even better.

Pat MacKenzie

Tomahawk

Wow that is a mess. 
I would hope those individuals have their names at the top of the list for the work crew to repair the ruts when the time comes.

Chris

Ededge2002

Any noted improvement?  How far are we walking?  Considering popping in today but if conditions haven't improved I will stay away

Michael

I flew yesterday afternoon.

I was able to drive almost all the way in, and the pits and field were dry.
(I have a big 4 wheel drive SUV.)

The parking area is a lake.

You will have to walk through some wet mud between the driveway and the field.

Michael

Ededge2002

Thanks for the update Michael. I going to an alternate site till it's solid. Don't want to do more damage