Getting started - Newb questions

Started by Minupla, April 29, 2012, 12:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minupla

Hey there -

I'm planning on joining the club but am still getting stuff sorted.  I picked up a Bixler model plane, and a 2200 to go in it.  I'm struggling on field charging solutions, since a single battery charge isn't gonna get me much flying time.

Whats the usual best practice for getting power in at the field?  How many batteries should I budget on needing? I've been looking at the power packs at CanTire et all, but 200+ seems a lot when I could be putting it towards things that I actually need for the plane :).  And 200$ buys a lot of 2200mha batteries!  Am I better just spending that on batteries and charging at home from mains power?

Thanks all, you'll be seeing me at newbie class this June :)

Dale

thehaze

For right now, more batteries is the answer. For two reasons. Firstly, charging takes time, and if you're coming out in the evening for flight school then you want to spend your time flying, not charging. Second, like you said, you can buy a whole lot of batteries for $200. 3 cell 2200's from HK cost around $10. You can also connect your charger to your car if you need to charge one or two batteries (don't drain your car battery, 2 or 3 batteries max). When you get more planes and have different charging needs at the field, a deep cycle marine battery is your best bet. The booster packs for cars, or car batteries for that matter are not what you want. They're designed to deliver bursts of power to start motors, and not for the discharging that your batteries and charger will demand from them.

Three to four batteries for an evening of flying is pretty sufficient.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

flying saucer

Agree with Mr. Haze

Buy 3 or 4 battery packs, always have one on charge (even basic 50watt chargers can top these up in 25mins or so) and you can do non-stop flying if that's what you're after.