WarBirds Day / Battle of Britain Day

Started by Papa, September 19, 2012, 09:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

September 15th is Battle of Britain day. We just had it.

imran13

Oh okay. When is the next event after this weekend's skills challenge? I am probably not going to fly this weekend depending if I am "allowed" or not, but I would love to practice hard and fly at the next event.

Thanks, Imran
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

sihinch

I'm afraid that this weekend is the last event for this year,  Imran.

imran13

Okay. Well I'll be there, either to watch or fly, or both hopefully :).

Thanks so much for informing both Imran H, and I because we are new members.

Imran L
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

imran1042

Any day at the field is a good day :)

Gregor77

I might be starting a bit early for this event... But I maidened the FW190 by Dynam on Sat.  It flew great and had some good power.  Landing seemed OK, but typical dynam retracts, only one came down due to the cold.  So I had to belly land. This damaged one of the alerion linkages, but it's all fixed. It does need some speed coming in.. I was trying to plop it down at the last second as the field was frozen and a bit rough now. The plane was also a bit hard to see, but will be perfect for the Axis side of the event.   We have some good stuff coming next year!

Gregor77

Well, back to Warbirds Day!   
Looks like the weather will be OK, for the event.  I looked at a few forecasts and they are saying 10K and Sunny.   

So what is everyone bringing?

*No need to spoil any suprise planes*, but maybe the normal stuff.

I was debating on two lists based on room and nerves.

A) Dynam FW190, Dynam Windsor SQD Spitfire, Sopwith Camel H9 Roy Brown (Stouffville), Sopwith Pup 1/4.

B) B-17G, Fokker Tri-Plane, Bristol, Hellcat.

sihinch

Like you Greg, I've got a few planes that I will definitely bring, and a few I'm not sure about.....

100% coming = Lancaster, HK Spitfire, E-Flite Hurricane

Not sure about:
PZ SE5a
Dynam Mustang
Dynam Spitfire
"Kwitcherbitchin" DC3 (alias Unlucky Chucky)
GWS ME109

And maybe, just maybe (if I get the ESC soldered tonight) I will bring the Hunter - if you'll all let me try to fly it!? ;)

Madman

Well if you don't mind visitors, Ben and I have been invited. We will bring his Pfalz E.I. Can't fit both of us and the Fokker and I want to encourage his participation as much as possible.

Greg, if the Dr.I is the VK please bring it along. I would really like to see what you have done with it.

Stephen

Ededge2002

I vow to try to at least fly like  a warbird. 
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

flyboy

Just checked the weather again  :'(

Sat:
P.O.P: -%
Wind NW 35 km/h
Wind gust 54 km/h
Humidity 47%

Sun:
Wind NW 30 km/h
Wind gust 44 km/h

I was really hoping to maiden my FMS P47.
Humidity 44%

Wingnutz

Wind forecasts I've seen are closer to Joseph's than Greg's. However, forecast wind direction is doable. Forecast temperatures are...brisk!
Will bring my Starmax Mustang, HK Spitfire and eflite Hurricane... Regrettably, Black Rufe won't be ready for maiden for another week or two. *#%!ing landing gear has me beat for now.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Gregor77

These darn apple weather aps are always wrong. Lol. Well I spent a good portion of yesterday or ding on my surprise plane. I just sold one of the dynam spits. I spoke to Ron and he will come with his se5a with the combat module. Thankfully my replacement hobbyking camera order showed. So it's off to best buy in the am for a class 10 card.

sihinch

I know what your surprise is, Greg! Looks awesome, nice job.

Sorry your Mossie won't be coming, Bill.

And Windfinder.com has the winds at Buttonville as 15kmh gusting 20kmh.  But last weekend Windfinder seemed to be much lower than actual. Hmmmm.

Bobmic

Quote from: flyboy on May 25, 2013, 03:56:56 AM
Just checked the weather again  :'(

Sat:
Wind NW 35 km/h
Wind gust 54 km/h
Humidity 47%

Sun:
Wind NW 30 km/h
Wind gust 44 km/h

I was really hoping to maiden my FMS P47.
Humidity 44%

Just got here, it is windy but its a northern wind so it shouldn't be a big problem for the FMS as it has more than enough power.

...by the way it is 10:40 and there is not one here so maybe a I can squeeze a non warbird flight:)