Mitsubishi A6M5 52 Zero Fighter

Started by sts41, September 27, 2014, 06:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sts41

Well it is Fall 2014... I have to say I had the worse year for flying... almost no time to go to field....But the good news... Not much got damaged.

This means... MORE MONEY FOR WINTER PROJECT.   ;D   Don't tell the wife that though...  ::)

So... The first time I went to rogo field, A flyer (who I now know as Mike R.) had the most beautiful Balsa Mustang... I walked up to him, and mentioned my admiration for this plane.... My dream was to own such a plane.... He looked at me as if I had lost my mind.  :D

This is my 4th year at the club, and one thing is for certain... There is no shortage of Mustangs, Spitfires, and Corsair. I like to be a bit different... There are a few German planes around... But to date, I have only seen a couple of Zero's.

The Pacific theater is where the P47 and the F4F Wildcat went to battle against the Zero... and found it to be a formidable opponent.

So in that spirit... I selected the Mitsubishi A6M5 52. This version of the Zero came out later in World War II and was developed to fight the F6F Hellcat and F4U Corsair.

So I got the plane, a Will Hobby Model, and some of the accessories from Mr Cadez's rather amazing collection. Plan is to rebuild it so that it is ready to fly next season. It has a 71" Wing span with a 60" body making it approximately a 1/6 scale version of the original. It has Balsa wings and a Composite Balsa Fiberglass body... I better not crash...

I started by weighing all the parts and getting estimate of the drive system online... Plane is going to weigh in at about 16 to 16.5 pounds all in.

I did a bunch of number crunching, and here is what I came up with for a drive system:

Rimfire 160 motor (250kv)
10 S 10000mHA   (4 X 5S 5000mHA in a 10S2P configuration)
Castle 80 Amp HV Edge ESC
3S battery and Regulator for control systems.

Here is the question I have to everyone... Power or Realism?
If I put the more realistic 14X10 3 blade prop, I get 6572 grams of thrust for a .88 to 1 Thrust to Weight ratio.
If I optimize the Prop with a 16X10 2 blade prop, I get 7480 grams of thrust for a 1 to 1 Thrust to Weight ratio with virtually identical current draws.

I think I am going to need to power to stay away from all those Spitfires  :P .... But I can order both and try them next summer... Not a big expense.

This plane does not have flaps... and it's stall speed is about 50 MPH... Should be interesting to land.

It will have fully operational retracts... Still deciding on the drop tank... May make it operational also..

Let the fun and the spending begin....   :o

First step will be measuring all the decals and their location... then the strip down of the wing... Next post will be after the wing has been stripped of it's skin.

Thanks for any input... As usual... it is greatly appreciated.

Steve

sts41

Well a few updates... The parts are starting to roll in. I have made one big change.... Motor.

I was going with a Rimfire 160, but in a stroke of luck, Great Hobbies was having a sale on Scorpion motors... I plugged the numbers into the Castle configuration tool, and WOW a S4035-250 can handle more power. And run's way cooler for the output.... It is one nice motor.

I also received my servos, Props, and 2 of the batteries. The Castle Phoenix ICE HV 80 is on the way.

On another note... Spinners, I found that a few users run a 1/5 size Spinner... so spinner is 1/5 X Diameter of prop... Does that sound right?... I need to order both the 3 and 2 prop spinners... I found a 2.75" spinner for the 14" prop... But having more trouble finding a 3.25 " for the 2 blade. I can find a 3" or a 3.5". Which sounds better?

Thinking ahead with paint... Plan is to get a spray paint gun  and air brush to paint this thing. I have been searching the internet for ways to get perfect circles painted... I actually have 8 to paint, and it is looking like the most difficult part. I have looked into decals, and the originals are no longer available. I either need to paint the circles, or create the circles on a computer and create my own decals.... That may be my best choice. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Steve

sihinch

I recommend Callie Graphics if you want to go the vinyl sticker route, instead of decals or painting.

Nice thread, Steve.

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

electroflyer

I have the Will Hobby P-47, It has the same dimensions as your Zeke. I use 10s 5000's which provides 6 minutes of spirited flying, plus I land with 40% left in the battery. I would recommend you try this first as you will be carrying far more weight than the landing gear mount can handle without a glass smooth landing.

Glenn

sts41

Thanks everyone... I have sent a request to Callie, see what comes back.

The spinners are a bit small for the size of this baby, for now, I am more or less looking for one that fits, later once I am sure of the correct size, I will start looking for a period correct spinner.

I have only ordered 2 batteries so far (2 X 5S 5000) to makeup a 10S 5000... I appear to have room for 4 of them, once I see the CG with 2 batteries, I will make a decision... I am using some retracts that I got from Greg C. They have about 3/4" inch of travel, that coupled with Flapperons, should hopefully translate into soft landings. Also, I will be completely rebuilding the wheel wells... and plan to strengthen the retract mounting points.

Glen, What motor and prop combo are you using in yours? Just want to get a sense of Thrust to Weight ratio... If you say yours is Spirited. Also, how heavy fully ridge to fly?

Thanks for the input... as always, it is much appreciated.
Steve

Wingnutz

Steve,  Good thread topic!
I'm not familiar with the Zero and wondered if you can point out differences between early Zeros and the later versions? I may scratch build a smaller model of a Zero and am interested in various versions.

Looking at the photos, can't see any flaps. Be careful using flapperons to slow a heavy warbird for landing. My understanding is that as well as increasing lift, deployed flapperons increase tip stall tendency. Flaps will increase lift without increasing tip stall tendency.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

electroflyer

Steve,
A couple of things, Bill is right about avoiding flaperons, you instead should try spoilerons, that kicks the ailerons up as opposed to down (washout Vs. Washin).
But since you are stripping down the wing, why not mod it for proper flaps and virtually guarantee a nice slow landing aircraft.
As for my Turnigy motor and 100 amp speed controller I have plenty of power, I basically fly at 50-60% throttle. This plane is probably the most powerful one that I own.

sts41

Thanks Bill and Glenn...

Here is the wiki for the zero... It has all kind of info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_A6M_Zero

A big thank you to Simon for the Callie tip.... Since yesterday, I sent in a list of what I needed... $24 US shipping included and I will be swimming in decals... She seems great, and the price is VERY reasonable. For anyone with Warbirds that need decals... She has most in stock... and can create anything that is not there.

http://www.callie-graphics.com/

I was going to check what can be done to modify the wing without too much effort. It is hard to get all the wood I need... But I may just take a look and place an order.

What I have been reading on Flaperons is that you need to mix in elevator so that you get the landing profile you need. I will look into the spoilerons and see what that has as advantages...Still some time to make those decisions.

Steve

electroflyer

Steve,

I believe the Zeke had split flaps. It would be super easy to mark, cut out scale flap area and replace with light ply hinged and activated by servos beneath the wing.

sts41

I found a build where the guy shows how he created the split flaps... and a few other items:

http://www.waveneymfc.co.uk/zero_cmpro.html

This is probably the way I will go.

Steve

battlestu

nice... you have to do the tail wheel mod as well :)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sts41

He doesn't really show how he did that... May need to look around. It does look sharp though.
That is something I can add later if need be.

;D Steve

sts41

Well, I am back on track for working on the Zero... I am REALLY late getting to Ontario this year... but we now have a date (Leaving June 13th)... So busy or not, I have to finish the Zero. Or at least get it Flyable. I am going to forgo the Flaps, but will get the wings ready to accept them for next year. I have mounted the motor, all the servos in the fuselage, and started a lot of the wiring. I do need a couple of receiver switches... Hopefully I can find quickly. I will get some pics added soon... Can't wait to get up there and start flying...

sts41

Papa

Great Steven, looking forward to seeing you again.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"