Spitfire winter build

Started by the giant, March 18, 2015, 06:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

battlestu

it was a shame to see a beautiful plane like that go in
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

electroflyer

Andre,
  I'm sad to see the out come of the First flight of such fine mode. I am also disappointed that I was unable to be at the field (work commitments) to see it fly. Now for the post flight, I'm sad to say the cause looks to be extreme elevator throw. The plane looked as though the stall was under control and then as you started to pull out of the dive you applied the elevator and hit the point where it affected the airflow over the main wing.
  Anyways, onward and upward. I know you will be already thinking about your next project which will be A thing of beauty I'm sure.
  Glenn

the giant

You are right Glenn.  I have been replaying the events in my mind.  When the airplane first stalled and snapped (I was intentionally testing the stall characteristics of the airplane) I let the contols go to neutral and the airplane started to straighten out toward the ground.  I began to apply power and pull up when it snapped again.  At that point i had run out of altitude to wait for the airplane to straighten out again.  I am sure panic set in and applied too much elevator control.  It was a heavy airplane with a high wing loading. I fear that it might have stalled and snapped when i made a landing approach (but i will never know) as i tried to slow it down. 
Anyhow:  Onward and Upward.  A learned experience. 

Frank v B

Andre,

I heard about it at the field today and just saw the video. What a shame to lose such a large and beautiful model.

I had a model go in like that.  One aileron failed (hinges pulled out).  Nothing altered the path of the dive.  This looked quite similar.

Get back on the horse...even though it may be different one.

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

Andy Hoffer

Hi Andre:

It was a really beautiful flight until the gut-wrenching end.  I hope we will see a Mark II some day.  Your builds are magnificent and an inspiration to all of us.

Andy

eric

Just saw the post on your Spitfire. As always, your models are works of flyable art. So sorry to hear (and see) the unthinkable happen.

Eric

piker

Andre!  I'm very sorry to hear about and see the crash.  That sucks, but you're an experienced builder who can pick up the pieces and move into the next wonderful project.  I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.