Dam Beaver!

Started by Wingnutz, October 02, 2013, 07:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wingnutz

Recently bought a Flyzone Beaver as I've watched Glenn and Rob having way too much fun with theirs.
TX-R version so I've added the Rx and three cell lipo...no reassuring beep-beep-beep on plug-in. Any suggestions?
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

imran13

Try rebinding it at full throttle until it binds, then put the stick back to zero. That worked for me.

Does the throttle stick do anything if you raise it?
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Ededge2002

Don't take this the wrong way but I've plugged stuff into the RX backwards before.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

I had to reverse the throttle on the Tx for mine.  That should fix it.

Something I've had to do for other ESC's recently (but not the Beaver specifically) is to increase the throw on the throttle to 110% in the low position for the ESC to recognize the low throttle position... but try reversing first.

Welcome to the Beaver gang, and see you at the beach on Saturday  ;D

pmackenzie

It should go without saying, but take the prop off when doing all this  ;D

Pat MacKenzie

Wingnutz

Think I forgot to mention in the original post that the Beaver's throttle and control surface response were normal, but no beep-beep-beep on plug in.  Maidened it this morning (no beep-beep-beep) and everything worked fine except the water rudders which were at best ineffective and simply collected a great deal of Scugog Salad. Model flys really nicely but after flying my Polaris and EDF powered Polaris, the Beaver water rudders were a disappointment.
Flap programming my DX8 for this model is a bit of a puzzle...I posted on the Flyzone Beaver thread on RCGroups and used their recommendation of Normal-140%, Mid 0%, Landing +140%...it seems to work but values greater than +,-100% seem  illogical to me and I worry about over-driving the servo. Am I missing something?

Wingnutz

Quote from: piker on October 02, 2013, 10:50:57 PM
I had to reverse the throttle on the Tx for mine.  That should fix it.

Something I've had to do for other ESC's recently (but not the Beaver specifically) is to increase the throw on the throttle to 110% in the low position for the ESC to recognize the low throttle position... but try reversing first.

Welcome to the Beaver gang, and see you at the beach on Saturday  ;D
Shouldn't it be the beaver lodge?

Tomahawk

Quote from: Wingnutz on October 03, 2013, 10:04:15 PM
Maidened it this morning (no beep-beep-beep) and everything worked fine except the water rudders which were at best ineffective and simply collected a great deal of Scugog Salad.

The guys that own Flyzone Beavers around here modify the rudders.  They curve the leading edge so the weeds slide under and off them.

Chris

Wingnutz

Quote from: Tomahawk on October 04, 2013, 01:46:54 AM
Maidened it this morning (no beep-beep-beep) and everything worked fine except the water rudders which were at best ineffective and simply collected a great deal of Scugog Salad.

The guys that own Flyzone Beavers around here modify the rudders.  They curve the leading edge so the weeds slide under and off them.

Chris
Thanks Chris,
Your suggestion certainly fits with my experience as a windsurfer (another life when I was younger and fitter). Weedfins with steeply raked leading edges were essential to sailing in weedy spots and I think the same probably applies to RC floatplanes if they have a water rudder(s)with exposed leading edges.
Do you know if your local Beaver flyers also maintain or increase the area of the water rudders?

ken c

Hey Bill!
I have an extra rudder from HK that is large enough to taper the LE and has a variable kickup pressure if you want o try it?  Greg H gave me the part no. - its impossible to find without it.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Wingnutz on October 04, 2013, 09:29:55 AM
Quote from: Tomahawk on October 04, 2013, 01:46:54 AM

Chris
Thanks Chris,
Your suggestion certainly fits with my experience as a windsurfer (another life when I was younger and fitter). Weedfins with steeply raked leading edges were essential to sailing in weedy spots and I think the same probably applies to RC floatplanes if they have a water rudder(s)with exposed leading edges.
Do you know if your local Beaver flyers also maintain or increase the area of the water rudders?

They don't add any more area to the rudders.  They just round off the leading edge.
I think the main reason for collecting weeds is the hook that is created because the rudder goes forward from the pivot point.  The guys just round it off starting at that pivot point.
Wish I had a picture to show you but float flying is finishing around here because of the short evenings.
The modified rudders were still very effective for water control even with the reduced area.  Maybe you have something setup incorrectly.  I don't own the Beaver personally and can't help with the setup but maybe you can have one of the local Beaver guys in your area look at it.

Chris

Tom M.

Bill, I ran .049" piano wire to the rudders for more positive movement, using the keepers at the tail and z-bends at the rudders. Weight is about the same as the (removed) tailwheel and water handling is good. My DX8 flap settings are similar to yours and I've added 10 and 20% down elevator at half and full flaps.  :)
  Tom

Wingnutz

Quote from: Tom M. on October 04, 2013, 04:45:41 PM
Bill, I ran .049" piano wire to the rudders for more positive movement, using the keepers at the tail and z-bends at the rudders. Weight is about the same as the (removed) tailwheel and water handling is good. My DX8 flap settings are similar to yours and I've added 10 and 20% down elevator at half and full flaps.  :)
  Tom
Hi Tom,
Good to hear from you! I'd forgotten you are a Beaver Lodge member.  I will try the piano wire first and see how that works as the rudders really don't seem to move very far. I think I'll have a look at the elev movement when flaps are deployed...put in roughly the same settings as you but I'm not sure it was down...I've only done one landing withe model and I cant even remember if I used the flaps.
Ken, I'd love to have a look at the water rudder you've got and get the part #

Tom M.

Indeed a Beaver Lodge member! I had a lot of fun making off-colour jokes with Carolyn about my new Beaver- seems women progress beyond juvenile humour... ;D
  Tom

Tomahawk

Bill, if I remember correctly. 
I think the guys did mention that the water rudder steering wasn't that great when there were weeds caught in them.  Were you able to try steering without the weeds caught in the rudders or wasn't that an option where you were?

Chris