Strange Behaviour

Started by Bigstik, October 12, 2013, 12:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigstik

Hi. I was flying my Icon A5 yesterday, off wet grass. No problem, but I noticed that every time I reduced power, the plane 'waddled", wagged it's tail like a duck. Anyone else flying the A5 noticed this? Any suggestions to stop the waddle?

Bigstik
Bigstik

imran13

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Tomahawk

Quote from: jabiggerstaff on October 12, 2013, 12:10:13 PM
Hi. I was flying my Icon A5 yesterday, off wet grass. No problem, but I noticed that every time I reduced power, the plane 'waddled", wagged it's tail like a duck. Anyone else flying the A5 noticed this? Any suggestions to stop the waddle?

Bigstik

It is normal for the Icon.  Some of the guys around here have added a gyro to stop it.

Chris

imran1042

When I increase power the tail wabbles. I believe its normal
Any day at the field is a good day :)

Bigstik

CG is okay, altho I may add an oz to get it more forward.

Any recommendation for a gyro Chris?

Bigstik
Bigstik

dangaras

The walling is an indication that you are approaching the stall speed. The wings are probably of a  laminar flow design (NACA ???) where the root stalls before the tip. As you decrease speed each wing stalls and she noses forward imperceptibly picking up a little speed and the wing starts flying again. Then as you slow down the cycle repeats. Since each wing is slightly different they stall at slightly different speeds which looks like a waggle.

imran13

You could spektrum's AR635 AS3X gyro, or hobbyking's orange rx gyro if you're flying spektrum/JR DSMX/DSM2

Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

Tomahawk

Quote from: jabiggerstaff on October 12, 2013, 05:39:33 PM
CG is okay, altho I may add an oz to get it more forward.

Any recommendation for a gyro Chris?

Bigstik

Hi Alan,  I am not sure what gyro they are using.  I will ask the next time I see them at the field.
You really don't need it.  The Icon will land easily as it is.  The guys here were experimenting to see if the gyro would stop the wag.  My Twister EDF waggles the tail when landing if I really slow it down.  I just ignore it and land.

Chris

Michael

My Icon waddles too.

I think it has something to do with the proximity of the pusher prop and the tail.

It's nothing serious.
Michael

Bigstik

Hi Michael. Is there a cure for the 'waddles'?

Bigstik
Bigstik

Michael

No.

It does fly smoother when there is no wind.
Michael