Balsa USA Eindecker 40 Build Log

Started by gordonbw, September 25, 2012, 06:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

Perhaps I should.  Contra's are available these days...

I'll plan for that.

Robert

gordonbw

I'll definitely be removing balsa from the Eindecker box tomorrow and will post a photo to prove it!

(Rob, I agree with Ed that a counter-rotating prop would definitely kick the Seagull into the cool zone!)

gordonbw

OK, so the EIII build is underway.  Spars, main ribs, LE and TE for the starboard wing are glued in place.  Tomorrow the false ribs and aileron structure will be completed. I am using Superphatic glue, as I have developed an intolerance to CA fumes.  Great stuff, but takes awhile to dry, so I'll be moving slowly. So far all the parts have clean die-cuts and fit really well.

Dawn Patrol, here we come!

Gregor77

Gregor77

What are you going to do for a power system?

I have a G46 in the Bristol with a 4S and it was not enough (15X7 wood prop)... too scale for me!  lol!  I run a 5S, 3000 and it should be good now.   The Eindecker might be a better choice for an e-conversion with the boxy fuse.  OG (oh god) Gordon... I might have to build one too!   ha ha!  To much on my plate to consider that!  But maybe....

Stephen it was nice to see you at the field with your son!

gordonbw

Gonna try the G46 on 4 cells first, just because I have some packs available.

The EIII fuse may be boxy, but there ain't much room!

Gregor77

on a 15X7 it was marginal. There is a video on you tube that Jeff took.. It was a bit underspowered.  My plane is a bit fatter than the Eindecker.  :-X

Madman

Gordon

Kind of late but check all the ribs. Make sure they are all the same and the nose ribs match them. Then remember the centre section sheeting goes above the ribs. There are no ribs reduced in height to allow for the centre section sheeting. At least none of mine were. Also the upper spar sits with its top above the ribs equal to the centre section sheeting which butts up against it front and back. Now you have an upper spar flush with the centre section sheeting but proud of all the remaining ribs and nose part ribs. That was my main issue.

The other problem area I have had so far is the ply which goes below the spar between the fuse sides. It didn't match the sides or clear the bottom of the wing. Be very careful of all the sheeting peices as one mistake in size gets you behind the eight ball fast. Lucky for me I have lots of spare sheet stock, although I didn't need it (yet).

As to covering. Originally I ordered 'linen' Solartex. I felt after looking at it a lot the 'antique' Solartex would look better (slightly translucent). In the end my son decided he prefered the look of the Pfalz eindekker so we are building a Pfalz E.I. I have a 15 foot roll of 21st century fabric but in the end elected to go with Ultracote (Oracover)and will be using black film for markings, rib tapes, fuselage borders and all flying surfaces which were outlined with black as well as the metal panels and all metalwork. I will dullcote all the "fabric" areas.

We are also changing the LG and using 1/6 size Williams Bros white vintage wheels (larger than called for in the kit) which will get the covers painted black.

Hope any of this helps.

Stephen

Madman

Sorry. I tried to edit my last post but the site is not allowing me to. On the Pfalz E.I the covering is white.

Stephen

gordonbw

Stephen -- thanks, great advice.  The upper spar in my kit seems to be flush with the ribs. I will double check the centre section ribs and trim them if necessary.

Gregor77

I can't wait till next spring... Is there an ETA on when we can expect all the WW1 planes to be done?  Should we do a mans bet and say the next WB event?

piker

Well I'm the last person to be comitting to build deadlines, but I was aiming for Kingston next summer, which is late June.  I think the warbird event at TEMAC was a couple of weeks before that this year, so around mid June.  So is that our deadline?

I'm aiming for construction completion (framing) by the end of December to allow the beginning of the year for covering, equipment installation, and detailing.  That should allow plenty of time to be ready for the Spring.  Sounds reasonable, eh?   ;D :-[

Let's bring the framed models to the Christmas party  :)

Robert

Gregor77

Ok, I can try!

But that means I have to take some days off work and build all day!   But sounds do able.

Actaully the framed models to the X-mas party would be fun...  But you know that we are dealing with 1/4 panes here... lol!

gordonbw

The Eindecker wing is all framed up.  I didn't experience any of the issues noted by Stephen... maybe BUSA has improved.  Now I've gotta find me some hard balsa longerons, 'cause I am definitely not going to use the heavy 3/32" sheet fuz sides included in the kit.   

gordonbw

Q:  What would you guys use to put a 'bashed aluminum' finish on the ABS cowl?