Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

gordonbw

Doncha just love EPO!

Way to fix, Simon!!!

sihinch

Painted, new 100A ESC installed (and checked - 77A, 1600watts) and ready to maiden (again!)  :)

Ededge2002

Preserver in the face of defeat!  And if that doesn't work kick the living heck out of it.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Papa

Hey Ed keep the fishing rod handy in case lightning strikes twice. OH sorry it's a Hunter not a Lightning. LOL.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

battlestu

just don't name the hunter George... he seems to like hitting trees  ;D

George of the Jungle
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Ededge2002

Simon dropped of a little something for helping him with the plane...  I will in all likelihood be too fat to ever climb a tree again!   

Thank goodness Monday is ride your bike to work day!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

sihinch

Well, I finally managed to fly my Hunter last night.  I wouldn't call it successful in anyway though.

After 2 take-off attempts (which both ended up with the Hunter travelling the full length of the runway without lifting off) I managed to get it up, so to speak!  I changed from a 6S 5000mAh battery to a 3300mAh battery, and I think she appreciated the weight loss! :P

The first flight was a challenge.  Even after full left aileron trim, I still had to fly with about 50% aileron stick deflection to keep her level.  Not sure if the issue was with the wings or the banana fuselage.  I had no rudder to help.  But I managed to fly for about 2 minutes and got her in to land.

I then added about 10mm left-roll aileron deflection with sub trim on the ground, and took her up for a second flight.  I managed to get it to almost fly level with full left trim this time, so I decided to retract the undercarriage (as per the Frank VB school of maidening.)  At this point, she rolled right and would not respond to left aileron.  She rolled right in to the farmers field.  Dead!

The theory last night is that, since I had no seperate BEC, when I retracted the undercarriage and the motors all pulled current, I lost the RX - a brown out.  Obviously I cannot test this now, but it certainly sounds like a plausible theory. :'(

I am obviously upset, after all the work and the fact that it was dedicated to my Grandad (who worked on them in the 1960s.)  But after all the build issues (parts not fitting great, wing servo connection a pain) and the bad flight (almost full left aileron to fly straight) I am not sure that I will get another one.  But it did look awesome in the air - it had great presence.  Only time will tell....... ???

In the mean time, I have the 70mm RC Lander version to try!  Hopefully this one will do better (but I don't like the paint colours. Cadez? ;D)

Gregor77

Simon, I understand the grief, it's all the work and time, not the model that hurts.  The plane looked good and it will be in the hall of fame as the worest flight attempts every.. But we should all stand back and learn a lesson here.  SBEC with anything more than 4 servos.  What Simon mentions is the exact example of overloading the system and causing not enough volts to the RX.  But also remember that the Lancaster flew after we called it a dud.

So what is next?   I don't know what the Lander plane looks like... what do you mean "Cadez?"  Does this mean another Tuesday night with beer and paint?  ;o)

sihinch

Tuesday night with Beer and Paint! That's exactly right!

The green is not a nice green on the Lander model, and both the green and grey are shiny! Yuk!

battlestu

Quote from: Gregor77 on June 05, 2013, 08:51:32 AM

So what is next?   I don't know what the Lander plane looks like... what do you mean "Cadez?"  Does this mean another Tuesday night with beer and paint?  ;o)

sounds kinky ...is this by invite only?
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

sihinch

It may be standing room only, and yes, it's VIP invitation only.  Although all you need to do is ask and you will get an invite!  ;D

Gregor77

The more the merrier!   :o

That just means more beer! 

gordonbw

Oh Simon, I feel your pain!!!