FlyFly Hawker Hunter

Started by sihinch, November 10, 2012, 12:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

That's the one Jeff. They've been out of stock for ages on the King. I've been waiting for them to get it since beginning of Dec!

sihinch

Well, it's not very exciting to look at, but 2.5hrs tonight has moved the wings along a little.  I cut the ailerons off, re-hinged them, and added the control horns. And I had 1 servo, that you can see with the extension wire in the pictures.

I managed to add the control horns to the elevators too!  :)

Next - retract mounting plates, and then decide on which retracts to go with!  ???

sihinch

Well, after much deliberation, I ordered the E-Flite 15-25 tricycle undercarriage last night.  I decided on these because the mounting plate will fit the designed supports.  I decided this was especially important to me for the nose gear.

Plus, for everyday use at TEMAC, it has regular sprung steel legs, which I think will be the most practical.

I also finished painting the pilot this weekend and glued the canopy together.

Skyking

Hi Guys,

Bill in particular. Regarding funny canopy and nose cone of F-86 I have the name of a company that provides good looking replacements for these items for flyfly models at a very reasoanble price.
I'll post it later when I get home from work.

I have also found that the FlyFly kits are a bit of a challenge to get everything lined up.
You need 3 hands and the ability to modify and understand the reinforcements that need to be made but in the end you can have a VERY attractive model that performs well.
I'm thinking of getting the Hunter and there is also a place that sells the FlyFly Mig 29 for $150.

Ken
Actually, I can.

Skyking

Hi Bill , Simon, Piker and all others on this thread,
The name of the place that supplies Fly Fly upgrades is : Parkflyerplastics.
The nose cone for the F-86 is $ 8.
Hope this helps.

Ken
Actually, I can.

Wingnutz

Hi Ken,
I have the Park Flyer Plastics replacement canopy, cockpit and nose cone already. Maybe I'm too fussy but the PFP canopy misses the character of the Sabre exactly the way the FlyFly canopy does. PFP's nose cone misses the boat too and I've ordered one from a guy in California who molds his own which IMHO look bettr than either FF's or PFP's.
I'm struggling with ESC location in the model.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

Wingnutz

Simon,
Just got my April Fly RC magazine and there's a feature article on the FlyFly Hawker Hunter even though the cover says it's a Hawker Hurricane feature.

sihinch

Thanks Bill. I got mine today, too!

Look at the ugly gap over the top of the wing. I'm determined to reduce that gap on mine!

They flew theirs on 5S and a 1500kV stock system, so I should be OK on 6S.

Wingnutz

I've got similar with my FlyFly too.

sihinch

A little more work yesterday, fitting the retracts and aileron servo wires......

Hope to get the wings joined today, and then I've got some work to do (for the paid job!)  :'(

Michael

Based on my (learning) experiences, your retract installation looks perfect for our field.

For a little extra suspension, insert small strips of elastic between the retract and the plywood before screwing it in.

Michael

flying saucer

Quote from: sihinch on January 31, 2013, 04:25:55 PM

They flew theirs on 5S and a 1500kV stock system, so I should be OK on 6S.

Most likely yes, but it's hard to say without knowing the rest of your setup. All we know for sure is the input voltage of your power system will be 22volts. As Bill mentioned earlier the most important thing is how much thrust you will have once everything is in the model.

Also it depends on what your goal is for the model. Are you simply looking to be able to takeoff and fly around, or do you want jet like performance?

Keep in mind that while foamie EDFs are typically lighter than composite models, they also have more drag.

Michael

Quote from: flying saucer on February 03, 2013, 04:51:15 PM
Quote from: sihinch on January 31, 2013, 04:25:55 PM

Also it depends on what your goal is for the model. Are you simply looking to be able to takeoff and fly around, or do you want jet like performance?

Scale speed ...

The FlyFly Hawker Hunter is approx. 1/11.5 size of the full scale.

Full scale maximum speed is 715 mph.

Model scale maximum speed is 62mph.

62 mph (and less) would look like true jet performance.

Michael

sihinch

I agree that I am going for scale speed on this one, but it's about 1/9.5 scale (not 1/11.)  It's 60" long!  So 700mph will be about 73mph.

Sorry to correct you Michael. ;)

Jeff - my power system considerations have all been listed previously, in this thread.  All options have been determined as a result of research.  The magazine article was 5S with stock fan and housing, which I know to be less efficient than the 3 fans that I am considering.

Michael

I stand corrected, but my point is that some of us are flying too fast.

73mph is not that fast.

Michael