Advice to take out broken screws .....please !!!

Started by Bobmic, March 13, 2013, 06:40:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobmic

Hi Frank,

Drill, Tap Glue  was exactly what I originally did - I don't have a plug cutter and don't think I will buy one for one use.
The other option is to use a concrete plastic screw anchor and glue it in the hole (the type that does not tapper down) or tap the hole, and insert helicoil and just use machined screws, this will probably be the easiest and fastest way but I am not sure where I can find a helicoil with and inner 3-4mm thread (maybe Fastenal).
In any case first step will be to drill around and see if I can take the screws up (two broke on the same retract base :(  )

Skyking

One way to loosen screws in general is to apply heat with a soldering gun.
Hope that might help.

Ken
Actually, I can.

Frank v B

Ken,

But with my track record in applying heat, I would have to pull out a fire extinguisher first. :D

"Scorch" van Beurden
"Never trade luck for skill"

Tomahawk

Funny how similar issues pop up.  I had snapped one of the screws to my retracts but on a H9 Hellcat.  I  ended up drilling and carving the wood around the broken screw.  When I had enough of the screw exposed I had to use a small pair of vice grips to remove the screw as pliers didn't seem to have enough  grip.  As explained earlier, dowel, drill, re-tap and ca the threads.

Chris

Bobmic

Thank you everyone - you guys are really the best !!
Frank your suggestion was excellent Thank you!!! supper easy, drilled around than used a dremel and went around the screw, once done I sanded a dowel, added some slots to allow better grip for the epoxy and glued everything back.
the only thing left for today will be to sand down the dowel pins and all is DONE :) Wahooo....

Frank v B

And the score is:

Bobby 2- screws 0

Yessss!!! ;D ;D

Unfortunately, been there, done that, done worse. :(

Frank

sihinch

If you want some more balsa practice, Frank, I'm just about to start a balsa ARF - it's just a matter of time before I cock something up and need help!  :-\

Frank v B

Simon,

Come over any time you are stuck with a balsa build.  It is amazing how much work I will do for a Toblerone bar....or two.

Any time.  I have two drawers full of spare wood of all description and two boxes full of covering ready for your challenge.

Why not drop by the Norseman build class this Monday night to learn a few tricks about building with wood.... and help keep

Cadez under control. :D

Frank the Repair Guy.

sihinch

Thanks so much Frank.  It's good to know that the friendly "repair guy" can be bought for chocolate.  It's like "cash for questions" all over again!  But I appreciat knowing you are there for me!   ;)

Sadly I have to go in to work on Night shift on Monday, to film an Oreo changeover, to see if we can reduce the time required by 50%!   :D

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: sihinch on March 16, 2013, 09:47:30 AM
Thanks so much Frank.  It's good to know that the friendly "repair guy" can be bought for chocolate.  It's like "cash for questions" all over again!  But I appreciat knowing you are there for me!   ;)

Sadly I have to go in to work on Night shift on Monday, to film an Oreo changeover, to see if we can reduce the time required by 50%!   :D

I hope you will bring the video to the workshop on Sunday.  It's always fun watching Cadez respond to health  food imagery!!

Andy