Top Flite Elder 40 electric conversion

Started by Michael, January 29, 2013, 07:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Next project - Top Flite Elder 40 balsa kit, to be powered by an E-Flite 46.

It's been several years since I built a balsa kit. This should keep me busy until a warmer and dryer flying season.

Now I'll have a vintage looking model to fly with Greg, Gordon, Robert, etc.

(My big Tiger Moth isn't quite old-enough looking.)
Michael

thehaze

Any elder and it would be a flying rock....

Looks like an interesting build.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

That looks like a very cool model Michael, and a nice size.  Looking forward to seeing it.  Enjoy the build!

Andy

piker

Cool!  Another "Rag and Wires" build.  Looking forward to the "report"   :)

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Michael

Michael

... and they're off! ...

Construction started. The kit is die-cut; not laser-cut, but the quality is reasonably good, needing only minor adjustments for nice fits between pieces.

Tail building is done; glued, sanded and hinged (hinges not glued in); ready for when I get to the covering and assembly stages.

Took about 3 hours total so far.

The photo makes the parts look somewhat distorted; they are actually built very straight and symmetrical.

Michael

piker

Very nice, Michael.  It'll be a cool plane.

Michael

Just spent 25 minutes taking ribs out of the die-cut balsa sheets.

25 minutes!
Michael

Michael

I've spent several hours so far on the wings, and I figure I have several more to go.

I'm of two minds while building this model. On one hand I'm enjoying the process; on the other, I remember that the new E-Flite 50-size pattern plane takes one hour from the box to flying.

Anyway, the 'build' is pretty standard, and the kit is reasonably well made (not quite as good as the laser cut Sig 1/5 Cub I built a few years ago, but it's still good). The balsa seems pretty heavy, but I'm building everything as recommended. I will share more details about the modifications for the electric system when I get to that stage.

The wing uses only one servo for both ailerons. That's pretty 'old school', but that's how I'll build it.

Michael

sihinch

I spent 7 hours today putting the wings together on a foamie!  7 hours, on just the wings!
:o

That's one of the reasons I'm not scratch building at the moment - if a foam kit takes 7 hours, a balsa kit with ribs and spars will take weeks! ;)

Ededge2002

Actually Simon balsa builds are easier as your not wrestling with inaccurate moldings. that is unless you built them in...  a well designed laser kit would surprise you.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Where are the wings?  All I see is a bunch of tools and glue!

But the tools and glue look great!

:)

Robert

piker

Actually, I like the hollowed out ribs.  I assume cap strips are going on those ribs.  It'll be a very nice wing when finished.

Robert

Michael

The cap strips were applied to the top of the wings last night.

The hollowed-out ribs are a great idea because the ribs are just about as heavy as balsa can be!  :o
Michael