What's everyone working on these days?

Started by terrabit, September 26, 2008, 11:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrabit

Not much going on around here the last few days... so...
What projects are we all working on lately?

I have just finished my formosa build and have been having a lot of fun flying that lately (hard to go back to the supercub). Very happy with the performace with a 450 outrunner.

I am currently putting together 2 planes. An E-flite Taylorcraft powered by a Park 480 and a "Super Bumble Bee" that I acquired from  John P. I have not yet decided on a powertrain for this big one but I will have to ask a lot of questions because I don't know a lot about building planes this large.

So what's everyone else working on?

sidecar53

I'm new to the board, so I hope you don't mind if I reply. I'm building a GP RV-4 parkflyer electric from the kit. Lots of fun and fairly easy to get back into building. Anyone else??

piker

Hi guys,

Great question... I was going to ask the same [:)]

I've started building a Top Flite Sea Fury that I'll, of couse, convert to electric.  It's a fairly large building project so I hope I can find enough time this winter to finish it completely for the flying season next spring.  It'll be powered by 10 cells (lipo) and weigh in the 10lb to 12lb range.  It'll have air retracts and split flaps..... oh, and a retractable tail wheel [:)]

I'm glad to hear others are doing some building.  Oh, and sidecar.  Feel free to jumo in at anytime.  Newcomers are always welcome on this message board, at the TEMAC field, or at any EMFSO fun flys or meetings.

Robert

battlestu

Sounds like there will be some nice planes flying at TEMAC next spring [:)]

I recently purchased two kits to build up over the winter. A 30inch wing span balsa hellcat. Most likely will be powered with a Park 400 motor.

I'm also waiting on a CG Eagle 2 kit (i can't always fly warbirds [:D]) ) I might power this one with an e-flight power 32 motor.

...and we'll see what Santa brings this year

Greg
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

Michael

Michael

Papa

Hi guys, Just got out of a week in hospital with an abscess on my tonsil of all things. I have an ambitious building plan to keep me busy during the winter.
1: Finish my Scottish Pioneer STOL. About 75% complete now. This will a 58" wingspan weighing 5 1/4 lbs. Wing loading 21oz./Sf. Using about a 50 size motor with a 3 bladed 10x7" prop.

2: Build a Curtis robin from a Dumas Peanut Kit, 16" wingspan as an indoor flier. Would welcome suggestion for a suitable power combo?

3: "Browne Monoplane" from plans, will be a vintage style based loosely on an 1913 Deperdussin. Is built mainly from hardwood and uses wing warping for lateral control. 52" wingspan 16 1/2 oz/sf wing loading using a 50 size motoer.

4: Fling Wing form plans, a 30" flying wing with elevons and rudder. Will use a 1500Kv out runner with an 18A ESC and a 3s 1250mAh.

5: Fuegray TR260 Sport Scale from the early '80's. 52" wingspan 21oz/sf wing loading weighing 4lb 5oz. and using 32 motor.

6: I have plans for a Typhoon MK 1B That i will start but build later next year. this is a 62" 7lb model.

7: I have a line on a set of plans for a 6' Vulcan B1 which I would love to build with 4 EDF's somewhere down the line.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

bfeist

Papa, that's quite a list.

piker: brave of you to go with a Sea Fury. If I recall you've had a streak of bad luck with Sea Furys in the past [B)]

I'm shoring up what I already have and getting everything either operational or out of my shop:

- Projeti with new 2800kv motor. Full assembly.
- Curtiss R3C-2 with AXI 4120/18 on 6S. Waterproof floats, re-align float struts. Rebuilt rigging.
- Curtiss R3C-1 with AXI 2826/12 on 4S.  
- Andre's old 60" Spitfire on 4S - Definitely strengthening wing mounting permanently. Might re-cover, although, I like the war torn look.

Other than that, i've always wanted to build a mid-size p38, but i can't find a decent kit that doesn't cost $800.

Might build a pattern flyer to replace my aging Brio. No clue what size. Any suggestions? Rob, you had a cool pattern ship a few years back. what was it again?

Benjamin Feist - EMFSO Website Developer

piker

Ya, I had a small Sea Fury before (Balsacraft).  The bad luck wasn't with the plane (although it did have equipment fit issues) it was with the reverse switches on my Tx  [:(]

The pattern plane I had a few years ago was the Great Planes Tracer.  nice build, nice flying plane.

Robert

Michael

Couldn't control myself.

My 1/4 scale J3 is finished and flown!

2 great flights. Never over 1/2 throttle and lands slowly.

Michael
Michael

Ex14th

I can atest to that, flew beautifully, what a sight. Now hmm, it gives me the motivation to finish the KMP Beaver, and if Mrs. Santa Clause is good to me, I might even have the floats, and drive system for Christmas, yes, I have been good the past 15 minutes.

terrabit

quote:
Originally posted by Michael
My 1/4 scale J3 is finished and flown!

Michael

Can't wait to see that big bird fly! Any Pics?

I maidened the taylor tonight too. Flies awesome and no trimming needed at all first time up!

It's scary for me flying balsa though ... No glue and tape repairs!
Plus it's a taildragger. [:p]

terrabit

quote:
Originally posted by BattleStu
A 30inch wing span balsa hellcat.

They have a pretty nice looking 37" Mustang there too. Hmmmm...

http://www.mountainmodels.com/product_info.php?cPath=25_74&products_id=201