New eflite Pattern plane

Started by thehaze, January 30, 2013, 01:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

The Carbon-Z Splendor. http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/carbon-z-splendor-bnf-basic-with-as3x-technology-EFL10250

It's a big plane for a foamy. Powered by 6 cells. I bet it flies great.

Two issues though..

1. What competition is going to allow you to fly precision aerobatics with a gyro system on board? Maybe they should have called this plane "The Lance".

2. $420, really, that's just crazy. I'll buy it when they liquidate them a year from now at $120 like the Scimitar.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Bigstik

Nice plane, but, $420.00, they are crazy!

Bigstik
Bigstik

Ededge2002

I don't like the as3x system personally but I guess its coming.  for the price...  420.00 seems like a lot and might be priced out of there market prices BUT add up what 4 metal gear servos, 6s 50amp esc, motor and I bellive an rx that is over $100 adds up to and its not as big of a "420" pipe dream as initially thought.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

bfeist

Well, the as3x system is effectively the same as a 3d gyro in a heli, which cost about $420 on their own (without the heli). That's a lot of dough for foam for sure though if you think of it as just the plane itself.

Michael

IIRC, this would be the largest ARF that Horizon Hobby has offered with an electric brushless motor, EXC, receiver and servos.

In fact, it is Horizon's first model of this size (46 electric or bigger) to come with all this equipment.

Michael

thehaze

I'm not saying it isn't nice.

But at that price, they won't be selling that many of them. IMHO it's $100 more than it's worth.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

flying saucer

Quote from: bfeist on January 30, 2013, 02:58:06 PM
Well, the as3x system is effectively the same as a 3d gyro in a heli, which cost about $420 on their own (without the heli). That's a lot of dough for foam for sure though if you think of it as just the plane itself.

Heli Gyro's start at about $20 bucks for an off brand Chinese unit to about $80 bucks for a mid-range Futaba one. Maybe you were thinking of flybarless systems?

At any rate I like what gyro's can do for small planes, especially in windy conditions. Not sure what the benefits would be in a larger model like this that weighs several pounds..