New SpitFire from HK

Started by Oscar, December 16, 2015, 01:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Simple - keep your eyes on it!!!

Alternatively get custom graphics!

Oscar

I would like to tribute to one of the Canadian pilot who flew the Mk1a during the Battle of Britain.  I noticed very few flew the Spitfire (most are Hawker Hurricane pilots).

I came across pilot John Steward Hart, who is, I believe the last surviving Canadian pilot in the Battle of Britain. He was in 602 squadron and flew the Mk1a with serial P9446.  Further research shows 602 Squadron would be "LO' code on the side.  What I couldn't confirm is whether the side code is 'LO-H'?

Any advise would greatly appreciated.  :)

sihinch

This is what I could find - not the same aircraft but the same sqadron.

Oscar

Thank you Simon.  I just found some photos from Atlantic Canada International Airshow 2015.  It said they replica the Mk1a to 3/4 scale.  It even has the same serial # P9446 and the pilot name. (http://www.allspitfirepilots.org/pilots/67). Looks like I am in the right track.   But I thought the MK1a are 3-blades, not 4-blades. 

sihinch

You're right, Oscar. This looks like an incorrect prop and spinner for a Mk.1

electroflyer

Well guys, that is a later version MkIX. I believe the pointed tail fin is the give away there. Plus it is a scaled down dummy which definitely has had some strange additions. The cowl/exhaust area is not correct plus the canopy should be of the bulged type. I believe the style shown there would only have been on the prototypes or early Mk 1's, and finally, you are right, the four bladed prop came on later Mk's IX's.

Glenn

Oscar

Thank you Simon and Glenn.  Greatly appreciated  :D

octagon

Hey Oscar, did you Spit arrive yet? Another Canadian Pilot was a fellow called Keith Ogilvie.
What could possibly go wrong?

Michael

Quote from: electroflyer on February 16, 2016, 12:51:17 PM
   Well guys, that is a later version MkIX. I believe the pointed tail fin is the give away there. Plus it is a scaled down dummy which definitely has had some strange additions. The cowl/exhaust area is not correct plus the canopy should be of the bulged type. I believe the style shown there would only have been on the prototypes or early Mk 1's, and finally, you are right, the four bladed prop came on later Mk's IX's.

Glenn

Yup! Mark 9.

Pointy fin, 4-blade prop and double scoops under the wings.
Michael

Oscar

sihinch

I did mine like the Spit of Al Deere, like the pin I was given (made with the parts of the crashed Merlin engine from his plane.)

So mine is called Kiwi!

Oscar

While surfing HK site, I found this :o

When I click the image, it has nothing in there.... 

Oscar

Definitely this is Spitfire year!! Hobby King just announced SpitFire MkV.

https://youtu.be/IGEqWbr4AYY