E F1 DARA ARF"s

Started by Polecat, November 08, 2012, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polecat

Nitroplanes are now taking orders for the Dara, here is the link www.nitroplanes.com/28a05-dara-kit.html.
The cost is $129.00 plus $30.00 shipping by Canada Express.
I think this is an introductory cost to get the kits on the market and at a later date the price will increase.

Ken

thehaze

No photos on the link Ken. Do you have any images or links to images?

Good to see another EF-1 arf on the market.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Ededge2002

I did a little looking earlier and stumbled onto these photos...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595338

looks nice.  I realy like it.  but not enough to spend the winter out back sleeping in the dog house!...  still looking though!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

The Green one looks great..

It just so happens that I need a new EF-1 airframe (ok my wife would agrue that "need" isn't really true)... I was thinking the Sundowner 36, but this one has my attention.

How does Nitro Planes ship their kits? Please tell me it's not UPS.

sihinch

I am tempeted by this - I've had my eye on the RC Groups thread for a few months.

I have bought planes from Nitroplanes before, but can't remember how they ship.........

flying saucer

Regardless of shipping method, anything like this coming from the States is subject to duty/customs and brokerage fees. You can usually get away with smaller parcels, or items under $50 in value and marked as "gift".

Polecat

Its not duty, its 13% taxes, also UPS charges tax on the brokage fee.
If a parcel is shipped by UPS you will be charged taxes and brokage fee and I believe FED X charges as well.
I am going to contact NitroPlanes on Mon., to find out how they will ship to Canada.

Ken

Polecat

Quote from: thehaze on November 09, 2012, 10:42:07 AM

It just so happens that I need a new EF-1 airframe (ok my wife would agrue that "need" isn't really true)... I was thinking the Sundowner 36, but this one has my attention.

The Dara would be an excellent choice as it is a little smaller and liter than the Sundowner. It was design by Jerry Small and Dan Kane for Nitro Planes. Also these guys designed the Shoestring for Eflite and two kits the Polecat and Outrageous. They all are great flying planes and very easy to take off.

thehaze

Quote from: flying saucer on November 09, 2012, 05:16:57 PM
Regardless of shipping method, anything like this coming from the States is subject to duty/customs and brokerage fees. You can usually get away with smaller parcels, or items under $50 in value and marked as "gift".

A little flashback for ya.. Here's an old post from Colin..

Ok I have something to bitch about.  UPS. Years ago I vowed never to buy a plane online if the only way it could be shipped was by UPS. (because of "import fees") Well the otyher day I broke my vow and purchased a plane that only cost about 250 bucks and I allowed for aboout 15% extra for misc "fees" that I knew would be coming my way upon delivery. 

In the past these "fees" had ranged from 12% to 15% on average. So in this case, worse case scenario I was looking at about $38 or so in "extras".  Well imagine my shock when the guy showed up and told me that I owed $96.22 in "brokerage fees"! $%#@%  That's about 10 Hobby King lipos rghts there!!!

Moral of the story ... never again if the product is only shipped by UPS.

That's why I don't want UPS involved. It will take a $160 purchase ($129 for the plane and $30 in shipping  >:() and make it easily a $200+ plane before power system and electronics. I can get a Shoestring or a Sundowner for $140 + tax at a LHS.

thehaze

Quote from: Polecat on November 09, 2012, 08:08:29 PM

The Dara would be an excellent choice as it is a little smaller and liter than the Sundowner. It was design by Jerry Small and Dan Kane for Nitro Planes. Also these guys designed the Shoestring for Eflite and two kits the Polecat and Outrageous. They all are great flying planes and very easy to take off.

After flying the Pogo I can appreciate the whole "easy to take off" comment.

If I can find a way to get may hands on a Dara without getting hosed by shipping, I'm all over it.

flying saucer

Quote from: thehaze on November 09, 2012, 09:55:20 PM
Quote from: flying saucer on November 09, 2012, 05:16:57 PM

A little flashback for ya.. Here's an old post from Colin..

Ok I have something to bitch about.  UPS. Years ago I vowed never to buy a plane online if the only way it could be shipped was by UPS. (because of "import fees") Well the otyher day I broke my vow and purchased a plane that only cost about 250 bucks and I allowed for aboout 15% extra for misc "fees" that I knew would be coming my way upon delivery. 

In the past these "fees" had ranged from 12% to 15% on average. So in this case, worse case scenario I was looking at about $38 or so in "extras".  Well imagine my shock when the guy showed up and told me that I owed $96.22 in "brokerage fees"! $%#@%  That's about 10 Hobby King lipos rghts there!!!

Moral of the story ... never again if the product is only shipped by UPS.

That's why I don't want UPS involved. It will take a $160 purchase ($129 for the plane and $30 in shipping  >:() and make it easily a $200+ plane before power system and electronics. I can get a Shoestring or a Sundowner for $140 + tax at a LHS.

You're preaching to the choir on this one. I have a self imposed moratorium, restricting me from ordering any parts or large items online from the US.

I got charged $60 in brokerage fees, taxes and duty on a $150 item. Totally killed the deal.

PS $140 for a shoestring/sundowner locally is a steal.

battlestu

Quote from: Polecat on November 08, 2012, 07:41:56 PM

I think this is an introductory cost to get the kits on the market and at a later date the price will increase.

good news they have a picture up.... bad news the $129 introductory price is gone (now $135)
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

thehaze

I see their strategy... If you want to see more you're going to have to pay.  I believe it's worked well in other industries... 

Polecat

The Shoestring and the Sundowner for 150.00 is a great deal, with taxes you are looking at 170.00.
Maybe someone can get Pinnacle or some other LHS to check if they can bring the Dara in. It will still cost 170. - 180.00 with taxes.

Polecat

Mike  Nitroplanes ship by the USPS to Canada, I have one on the way. The reports on RCgroups, the quaility is great but there is some minor things to changes.

Ken