E F1 DARA ARF"s

Started by Polecat, November 08, 2012, 07:41:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thehaze

Thanks for the update Ken.

I'll take a look at the RC Groups thread and see what sort of mods people are doing. Hopefully it's just small stuff.

Mike
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Polecat

Quote from: thehaze on November 12, 2012, 04:56:46 PM
Thanks for the update Ken.

I'll take a look at the RC Groups thread and see what sort of mods people are doing. Hopefully it's just small stuff.

Mike
Mike When I build mine, I will do a build thread and post pictures as well.

Ken

battlestu

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

battlestu

looks like Great planes has an EF1 plane now:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNCPFP&P=G

sihinch

Oh no, this is too much pressure.

Do I need an EF1 plane??????

thehaze

Simply....

Yes, yes you do.

battlestu

Polecat

Quote from: battlestu on November 15, 2012, 08:45:29 AM
looks like Great planes has an EF1 plane now:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNCPFP&P=G
The Proud Bird was designed over 2 years ago by Jim Allen, who is a big pylon racer in the US. He has been racing this plane for 2 years now and doing very well.
Great Planes has had this in the works for some time.
It is going to be all white, so you can put your own trim colours on.

Polecat

The next F1 ARF to hit the market will be the Invictus, Hobby King is working on the proto's for the designer to check out. It might be available early summer.
This one could be expensive with the shipping from China but it might be available from HK US.
There maybe more ARF's that I don't know about.

flying saucer

These all seem ok, but a bit too draggy. Is there anything out there in this price range that can compete in EF1, but not require 800+ watts?

thehaze

Quote from: flying saucer on November 15, 2012, 11:06:44 PM
These all seem ok, but a bit too draggy. Is there anything out there in this price range that can compete in EF1, but not require 800+ watts?

Draggy isn't a word that I would use to describe the performance of these planes. Yes, there are faster models out there, however I'd say that the combination of the speed of these planes and their ability to track around the pylon course is pretty much spot on for the level of competition the rule makers wanted to have. Plus these are 3.5lb planes.  EF1 is meant to be accessible to the average pilot, therefore I think the idea was to make the planes fast (about 110 mph), but not so fast that they'd be hard to track and control, rememeber you're not the only pilot on the course. They use a spec'd power system so you don't have to mess around with motor and battery combinations so no matter which model you choose, you're going to need a 800 W power system.

Here are the current rules for the class. http://www.nmpra.org/rules/EF1NewRules_5_%5B1%5D.pdf

Trust me Jeff, I think that this type of competitive flying would suit your flying style perfectly. You should make a point of going out to Ken's pylon course next season. Once you see these planes go around the course. You'll be hooked.

Ededge2002

Please stop posting these planes unless:

-You have a place I can live for the winter

-there is room for planes

-you want to see me freeze in the dog house

Who am I kidding here?  Sometime this spring expect a EF1 to be in my hanger. There just too sexy to resist!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Polecat

Quote from: Ededge2002 on November 16, 2012, 10:11:19 AM
Please stop posting these planes unless:

-You have a place I can live for the winter

-there is room for planes

-you want to see me freeze in the dog house

Who am I kidding here?  Sometime this spring expect a EF1 to be in my hanger. There just too sexy to resist!
Don't wait till spring, Order one now, Have it shipped to one of your good friends, Visit him every week, Thats what friends are for. Hiding things from the wife.

Ededge2002

None of my friends nor myself could be trusted if left alone with one of these beauties!   
Now if they would store my wife till spring for me we might be onto something...

Ededge2002

Ive done a little digging about the Proud Bird EF1  .

This is information I aquired from a friend that works at Hobbico. 

The planes are on the water on there way here as we speak.
I understand they will come all white with some trim graphics to make personalized versions easy.
Great Planes should be releasing a video soon as it was completed last week.

" I have had the occasion to fly the Proud Bird a couple of times and I have to say it ground-handles and flies well. It tracks well on takeoff (even on pavement) and won't nose-over when it lands."

"I was also out at our flyng field a couple of times last week when we were filming the video for promotions. Our Ace pilots Frank Noll and Dan Landis were putting a couple of Proud Birds throgh their paces and they were fast. Of course, we fly them with the O.S. motor setup on 4S for EF-1."

Now im going to go stick my head in the sand!