JR vs. Spektrum Radios

Started by sihinch, March 05, 2013, 08:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sihinch

Hi All,

Other than the price difference, can people offer an opinion of JR vs. Spektrum radios.

My DX7s needs a minor repair, which got me thinking about back-up radios.  From what I have seen, the JR radios start around $550, but have a 50 model memory.  This large memory could replace 2 x Spektrum Tx (the DX7s has a 20 model memory.)

I'm interested to hear from users of the DX8 - what do you think of that radio?

And JR users - can you compare the use of JR vs. Spektrum, for things like menu set-up and user friendliness.

And since both brands seem to use the same technology (DSM2/DSMX) is there any difference in reliability?

Thanks,
Simon

Canuke

I have the DX7, I just filled up the 20 models ( I didn't think it was possible when I bought my 1st plane) I just bought the JR X9303 which has a 30 model memory on the advice of Kelly from Flying Stuff Hobbies whom I fly beside at RHMAC indoor flying. This guy is the best flyer I have ever seen (flies heli's an inch above the floor while controlling it with his hands behind his back). He only uses JR's and says the difference is night and day. I took his advice and although I only have 1 model in it the quality and feel is much more substantial. I can't really comment on the useability yet as I'm just about to program in all the planes from my DX7. I sold several of my planes at the AMAC swap meet this past Saturday so I'm hoping that my new radio will be all I need in the future. I just may be selling my DX7 now. 

Canuke

Sorry, forgot to mention that the JR did not come with a manual (only a DVD) and I had to take it to Staples to get a manual printed (the advantage I guess is the large type which helps my old eyes)

Bobmic

Hi Simon,
I assume you want to keep your DSM receivers which will remove the new JR's from the equation.
I was in the same boat a couple of years ago and was trying to compare the DX8 to JR 9503x.
What I got was a variety of answers and since I was planing to look for a used transmitter I was a bit worried about the DX8 and it's early hickups. At the end I went to the store and held both - the decision for me was simple after that and I suggest you do the same as both transmitters feel very different in the hand.
I did like the telemetry on the DX8 but the receivers are very expensive.
At the end I found a used JR9503x which is really great supper easy and relatvely intuitive to program.
The main difference between the 9503 and 9303 is the memory (50 vs 30), back light (which is excellent) and module based for 9303.
If you are thinking on switching to FrySky or anything else the 9503 will not work.
The buttom line is - go to the store and just feel it in your hands.

sihinch

I think there are new DSM2/DSMX JR transmitters. And I've got the Turnigy radio for FrSky. 

But I am considering a second DSM Tx as a back up.

But holding them is good advice! Thank you.

flying saucer

When my DX6i gives up the ghost I'm grabbing one of these:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__28297__Turnigy_9XR_Transmitter_Mode_1_No_Module_.html

Simply plug in whatever rx module you want and you're set.

I only fly 3 or 4 models at a time, but keep in mind this radio only supports 16 model memory which could a be a problem for some with a large number of planes.

sihinch

I have one of those, Jeff. With the FrSky module.

flying saucer

Nice, I'm guessing you got it very recently?

As far as I know these have only been out for a couple months.

Ededge2002

If the others put "king" on there name they would be better!  I'm still stuck using my FutabaKing its been a great radio.
Trouble with module based systems is that some of the advantages such as auto plane detect are lost. Also the signal is dependant on four (or is it five) little pins on the back of the module. I've had some troubles from these pins with the spectrum module for my Futaba.  When I do finally go 2.4 it will be with an integrated radio system.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

Bobmic

So are you looking for a replacement radio or a backup?
If its a backup and you have the Hobbyking just buy a second module for DSM , I guess Hobbyking are selling one?
By the way if I am not mistaking all toggle switches on the DX8 are 3 way and on the JR only the front two are 3 way.

sihinch

That's a good question Bobby.

I was looking for a back-up but when I saw the JR with a 50 model memory, I was tempted to replace.

I bought the 9XR to service my expanded fleet, with any new models being given FrSky receivers.  But that wouldn't help my DSM collection in the situation where my DX7 needs repair.

I think maybe the DSM module for the 9XR is the best back-up.  And maybe a 50 model JR radio in the future as a replacement.

Any other users of JR radios able to comment on their experience using them?

pmackenzie

One big advantage of the 9503 versus the DX8 is in the area of glider programming.
9503 has excellent glider programming, DX8 has absolutely none.

DX8 has some more bells and whistles than the 9503. (back light, vibrating alarms, stick inactivity alarms,SD card)

The new JR DMSS radios have interesting features, but are not compatible with Spektrum receivers.

Bobmic

Quote from: pmackenzie on March 06, 2013, 06:57:44 AM
One big advantage of the 9503 versus the DX8 is in the area of glider programming.
9503 has excellent glider programming, DX8 has absolutely none.

DX8 has some more bells and whistles than the 9503. (back light, vibrating alarms, stick inactivity alarms,SD card)

The new JR DMSS radios have interesting features, but are not compatible with Spektrum receivers.

The 9503 has a back light and the timer can be linked to the throttle stick however it only triggers the timer once - it will not be a net power on timer but still good.
I don't know anything about the programming possibilities of the DX8 but on paper, for me - the main difference was Telemetry and SD. Since you have already ordered a Quannum if I am not mistaken, you will end up with higher flexibility and significantly cheaper setup (beside the fact that you can actually glance at the battery level while in the air - in addition to two alarm levels).

Regarding back up etc. I know that JR has an option to backup programs to PC but you need to purchase additional parts and software and I am not sure how this process will end up.
With SD based transmitters you are unlimited and you might be able to move programs between transmitters but I am not completely sure about that.
Michael has the JR and Eric is using the DX8 maybe they can pitch in..:)

thehaze

With an additional card i don't see how model memory capacity is a big issue. For example with a dx8 you have a 20 model capacity. However you can create setups for hundreds of models and store them on the card.  Since I doubt anyone could possibly bring more than 20 planes to the field all you need to do is load the models you are flying that day and you are good.

Now if you are looking for specific features, ie glider programming, or delayed flaps, then you need to do your homework. I went with spektrum because it was commonly used, therefore there would be more product support, and more options for receivers etc..

If i were to purchase a backup radio, I'd get another spektrum, that way I could use my sd cards to transfer models over. Although it's important to note that dx7 models don't work on dx8's and the opposite is also true.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Andy Hoffer

Quote from: thehaze on March 06, 2013, 11:03:37 AM
I doubt anyone could possibly bring more than 20 planes to the field.

I'm betting on Greg C and his VW RC-Aerobus to blow this away!!  :)