Adrian Page Super Cub

Started by Michael, March 07, 2015, 05:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wollins

|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

bweaver

Masterful construction.................. 8)

Michael

Thanks for the compliments, but my work is nowhere as fine nor as accurate as Colin's or Roberts, but, there is an important point I am trying to make.

My construction is not all that accurate, my sanding is not all that smooth, and the model is not as accurately aligned as it could be if I were building slower and more carefully.

The point is, that the construction of a balsa wood kit does not have to be prefect. None of the errors I am making will adversely affect its flight characteristics, and the model will still end up looking pretty good. Not prefect, but pretty good.

As well, I'm still enjoying building it, and I will enjoy flying it.
Michael

Michael

Modified wingstruts completed.

I cut re-enforcement saddles to hold the hardwood pieces that attach to the struts at the outer ends of wings, and balsa sticks to hold the hardwood pieces that attach to the mid-range strut supports.

The photos tell the story.

These fit well, and I'll get some smooth bolts with drilled holes and cotter pins (I'll show these after I buy them at the hobby store) to make fast work of attaching the wing at the field.

Michael

Michael

Opening doors/windows were constructed as instructions/plans, but the hinges were 'ad-libbed' a bit. This was quite a bit of tedious work, and I`m sure alternatives could be found, but I essentially cut hinge slots at each locations to suit that part/area, and used scrap balsa as added support for the hinges. The top hinges are to be glued to the window frame and to the outside fuselage. I screwed these on for now.

The cowl in the kit comes with both sides molded together on one fairly thick sheet of plastic. I cut these out carefully, and sanded them carefully, but one is still longer than the other. I trim them to match once securely joined. Scale-shaped holes for the motor shaft and engine cooling need to be cut out, and scale details will be fabricated from balsa and glued on before painting.

Once I got the two halves sanded and trimmed to fit together nicely (except for the length), I taped these together on the outside, and glued them together on the inside by soaking CA into strips of fiberglass along the seam.
Michael

Papa

Very neat hinging. Looks great.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

Michael

Still to do:

- sanding
- door latch
- wing lights?
- finish cowl

- radio installation
- power system installation
- covering and painting
- assembly
- decoration
- balancing, programming and throws
Michael

Michael

Complete airframe sanded and ready for covering.

Lights installed in wings. This is an inexpensive LED set with chrome-painted plastic frames simply glued in place. There are no switches; it simply plugs into the revciever for power.

Michael

the giant

Is your LED plugged into a separate channel that you can control (ie. turn off and on) with a separate switch?
I know flyers who have used a y-harness to provide power from one of the channels (if, for example, it was a 4 or 6 channel receiver)

Michael

The LEDs are simply plugged into an unused channel.

I may check out the hobby store for a simple electronic on/off switch that can be controlled by the radio, but it's not essential.
Michael

Michael

The motor is mounted, with a little guesswork as to right-thrust and down-thrust.
Spacers, bolts and blind-nuts were purchased at the Lowes Hardware.

The cowl is cut to shape and, holes cut, and mounted on scrap blocks.

The underside of the front fuselage was simply to be covered with plastic covering film, but I made a balsa hatch for the ESC instead. That will keep the battery compartment a little less busy.

Covering is started.

Michael

Michael

When covered, the 1/8" dowels on the sides of the fuselage really help bring out the scale look of the tubular construction of the full scale plane.

Michael

Michael

Before covering more, I decided to brush-paint highly-visible interior sections (near window areas) with white paint.

Covering continues.

Michael

wollins

OH GAWD, this will make TWO major builds you'll finish before I finish mine!  ;D  She's really looking good ... it's small details like this (painting the visible internal areas) that make a huge difference imho.

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Michael

Thanks Colin, but these are not as 'major' as yours.

Yours is probably the most complicated 'build' ever documented on this website, and you are progressing way faster than anyone else in our club who ever built anything like it, ....

... but thanks anyway!  ;D   I am having fun!
Michael