Bungee Launch Ramp MK 1

Started by flying saucer, October 15, 2012, 05:11:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flying saucer

Not a plane, but a build nonetheless.  ;D

I was surprised how quickly and easily it went together. The main material used is 1-inch PVC pipe.
We have also built in expandability for different size models, and are able to widen the rails by 6-inches.

Wingnutz

Flying Saucer,
Looks good! Once the bungee is loaded, how is the model held and released?
I recently purchased a mini Jetapult for my small EDF's and it has a peg to hold the model and a footpedal to release it once all is ready but it's certainly not perfect. Can't wait to see how your ramp works!
Bill
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

thehaze

I was wondering the same thing as Bill.

Can't wait to see it in action. Certainly would make the launching of jets a lot easier.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Candu

If it proof to be successful, it's simple enough that I can envision one permanently mounted on one of the pilot stations...  :)

flying saucer

Guys there is a  release pin attached to the front of the frame that goes through a block off wood. When the pilot steps on the trigger, the tow hook slides off the pin and disengages. Then the model shoots off the ramp (hopefully).

Will get more pics up on Wed/Thurs

Andy Hoffer

Any need to fair the top 1trailing edge of the joints where the curved front pieces join the rails so you don't get a sudden bump on release ?

Andy

Wingnutz

Andy,
Exactly what I did with my mini Jetapult.
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

flying saucer

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on October 15, 2012, 10:42:16 PM
Any need to fair the top 1trailing edge of the joints where the curved front pieces join the rails so you don't get a sudden bump on release ?

Andy

Good eye sir.

We will be adding foam insulation on top of the rails and then probably duck tape to try and end up with a smooth surface. Don't want too much force wasted trying to get off the ramp!

flying saucer

And we have lift off! Wasn't the prettiest launch ever but it made it up.

First ever launch off the ramp  :D

F16 First Launch Bungee Ramp

battlestu

Nice.. Man that was a close call
"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

flying saucer

Yeah not enough pull on the bungee, I did another one with more pull, lets see if I have a video...

Still getting it dialed in. This time the pull strength was enough, but I later noticed one of the launch rails was slightly lower than the other causing the plane to veer right.  :-X

Anyhow maybe I get style points for this one:  ;D

Knifedge Bungee Launch

bfeist

Andy Hoffer

Congrats Jeff!  The launches are even more exciting than the jets!!  Amazing save on that first one.

Way to go.

Andy

flying saucer

Thanks Andy, now I'm waiting on a larger 8mm bungee chord so I can launch some proper jets!  ;)