Frenchman's Float Fly - May 2, 2014 *** CANCELLED ***

Started by piker, April 30, 2014, 01:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

piker

*** CANCELLED ***  Weather does not look good!

------------------------------------------------

We had such a great start to our 2014 float flying season a couple of weeks ago!   So let's do it again!

The next scheduled get together at Frenchman's Bay is this Friday, May 2, starting at 4;30pm until dark.

As we found last time, it's a great time of year for flying at Frenchman's Bay as the boat traffic is very light, the weeds haven't grown up yet, and the water is clear and inviting.

The weather has been crap so far this week, but the forecast for Friday is for 11 degrees with no rain... and the wind... well, we'll have to see what we get.  The whole idea with flying in the evening is that the wind usually settles down and we end up with excellent float flying conditions.

This time we're scheduled on a Friday evening.  I don't know if that will make it difficult for people to get there, but I'll plan to be there and I hope many of you can make it too.  Even if you can't get there for the 4:30 start, still plan to come out as the flying conditions usually get better later anyway.  We will fly until about 8:30pm (I think that's when the sun sets), then we can go to Tim's if you want  :)

Please let me know, in this thread, if you plan on coming out.  It helps me to decide whether to commit to the event, or to cancel if no one can make it, or if the weather looks bad.  Also, especially this week, check this thread before you head out on Friday to make sure we're still on.  I'll post updates here.

Here's the link to the site:

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.8167352,-79.1147209/43.8122371,-79.0922973/@43.8129031,-79.1015995,1434m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m3!4m2!1m0!1m0

Kenvention2

Great Idea, but I'm not going to be free in time. Please keep me posted for future dates though.

I hope for calm seas and light winds

Ken

piker

No problem, Ken.  I realized today, that I forgot to send an E-mail last time.  I just posted here.

It was a great time if you could handle the cold.  You should see the number of Beavers out now.  See what you started?!

BTW, the schedule of events is posted on the main page at temac.ca with all the scheduled float fly's, for future reference.

eric

The Weather Network says winds @ 25 kph with gusts to 39 for Friday, so I'll wait and check on this thread tomorrow afternoon to see if float flying's a go.

Eric

piker

You're right, Eric, and that is why I've decided to cancel the float fly this week.

Most of the regulars can't make it, and the winds look unfriendly., so it would probably be a flop.

Let's plan for next Saturday evening instead.  I'll post a separate notification for that.

Thanks for your interest guys!

wollins

Quote from: piker on May 01, 2014, 11:42:56 PM
You're right, Eric, and that is why I've decided to cancel the float fly this week.

Most of the regulars can't make it, and the winds look unfriendly., so it would probably be a flop.

Let's plan for next Saturday evening instead.  I'll post a separate notification for that.

Thanks for your interest guys!

Next Saturday huh?  Hmmmm .... wonder if I can make that one ...with a certain 415 ...  :)
Colin 
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

Wingnutz

Looking forward to seeing another of your creations in the air...May 10 should be a busy day! Good luck with finishing up by then. It would take me a month!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

eric

Float flying next Saturday, May 10th? I thought I wasn't going to be around, but I read my calendar wrong. Hoping for calm winds, sun and no boaters.

Speaking of boats, I picked up a flying boat to sail at my cottage this summer. Just figuring out how to attach the wings. Here's 2 shots I took on the shore last week when we were up opening up the shack for the summer - still ice on Georgian Bay!

Eric

piker

That's a nice boat, Eric!  Man!  Bring that out next weekend!

I think next Saturday will work better for a lot of people. I know it will for me.