The Most Spectacular Crash in 2013.

Started by Papa, November 20, 2013, 03:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papa

It's a quiet day so here's a challenge for you.

What was the most spectacular crash of a member's plane you saw this year?

By "spectacular" I mean destructive damage, emotional toll, location and involvement with others.

Nominations will be evaluated and refined for the Christmas Pilot's Meeting.

I have two in mind, one I saw and one I heard about.

The one I saw was Robert's Sandringham.

The One I did not see would be Eric's Norseman.

If you have any pictures to support your nomination please attach them to your post.

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

bfeist

I vote for Ed's tiny little carbon F5D thing that he spread across the field like butter on toast at 200mph.

Andy Hoffer

Ed's masterful mid-air with Greg on final approach at Battle of Britain Day is a clear winner in the emotional toll category.  Poor Ed was totally distraught!  And Greg, well, he was simply in shock!  Definitely added an air of authenticity to the BoB commemoration.  Lots of group bonding and consolation by all in attendance.  :D

http://temac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DSC_6314-112-medres.jpg

thehaze

Quote from: Andy Hoffer on November 20, 2013, 04:11:17 PM
Ed's masterful mid-air with Greg on final approach at Battle of Britain Day is a clear winner in the emotional toll category.  Poor Ed was totally distraught!  And Greg, well, he was simply in shock!  Definitely added an air of authenticity to the BoB commemoration.  Lots of group bonding and consolation by all in attendance.  :D

http://temac.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DSC_6314-112-medres.jpg

This one's got my vote as well.

With an honourable mention to Michael's Bronco (If close my eyes I can still hear the sound of the plane hitting that pole). Such a nice model.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

sihinch

Vote for self - what about the "Hunter in a Tree" fiasco?  They gave us all a few giggles!

And I crashed it again after rebuilding it!

There was Ronnie's F-16 "crack" too as his elevator & horizontal stab let go!

bfeist

Quote from: sihinch on November 20, 2013, 04:52:22 PM
Vote for self - what about the "Hunter in a Tree" fiasco?  They gave us all a few giggles!

And I crashed it again after rebuilding it!

There was Ronnie's F-16 "crack" too as his elevator & horizontal stab let go!

Oh yes, Ronnie's F-16 --> packing foam in 10ms.

Ededge2002

I'm flattered with the votes!  I try to entertain.  Even though I think my crash with the little Pyro pylon racer was spectacular it was outclassed by the gracefulness and heartfelt loss of Robert's Sandringham. 

I will keep trying!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

piker

Wait!  I see a problem with this poll.  We have too many best crash candidates  :o

Here's another example... the time I plastered my Nooner across the field while I was within a couple of laps of winning the Final... and I had a full lap lead!  Ugh!

What about my famous Rascal crash on Skill's Day  ;D

Oh, and there's my full throttle, outside loop, with my Spitfire that ended up 6" too low... but only Glenn was there to witness that one  :P

Hey... maybe there's a new theme here.  Let's campaign our own best crashes... like running for class president  :)

electroflyer

Well, On a personal note, The crash of the Nooner at Bramptom, followed by the crash of the Nooner at TEMAC represented some my best make work projects this year. The Sandringham was the most gut wrenching, the Rascal was comical, Ronnie's F-16 was unexpected and spectacular as it sent a battery flying 50' or more which landed by my PT Cruisers door. The same day Ken Coleman crashed a plane right behind my PT and guess what plane that was..... That's right a Nooner!  All and all a great season.LOL

Glenn

Papa

I was going to nominate all the Piker Class collectively as I think everyone crashed at one time or another.

Did anyone never crash a Nooner?

Jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

bfeist

Quote from: Papa on November 20, 2013, 06:58:23 PM
I was going to nominate all the Piker Class collectively as I think everyone crashed at one time or another.

Did anyone never crash a Nooner?

Jack.

I cracked my stab while landing... Does breaking props count?

Ededge2002

Glen and I occupied some of the same airspace and I did some damage to my stab on a bumpy landing...   Other than that I don't think I "crashed" my Nooner.
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

thehaze

Despite some close calls, mixed with a whole lot of luck, my nooner survived the season without crashing. However, almost every time I released it from my hand, I figured that it was embarking on it's final journey.
Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

Frank v B

Please note that all the experienced modelers have made the most spectacular crashes.  All our new flyers and recent soloists can only aspire to our level of mediocrity.

I trashed my brand new F27 twin Fokker on its maiden flight after only half a circuit at TEMAC.  Shoulda glued the starboard aileron hinges as well. 
Lost my blue and white bullet ( 48" span hand-launch with an EF-1 motor) when the receiver battery gave out.  When I saw the twitching I shut down the motor just as the receiver died.  It went straight in from 100' in the outfield of the baseball diamond during a playoff game.  They politely stopped the game, picked up the pieces and handed them to me over the outfield fence.  Sorry!!  It will fly again.

Hard to compete with experts like Piker though. ;D 

Frank
"Never trade luck for skill"

piker

Quote from: Frank v B on November 20, 2013, 09:57:42 PM
Please note that all the experienced modelers have made the most spectacular crashes.  All our new flyers and recent soloists can only aspire to our level of mediocrity.

Hard to compete with experts like Piker though. ;D 

Frank

They'll eventually learn to crash like us "experts"   :P    I say, you don't stop crashing as you get better, you just CRASH better.  Either that or you're not pushing the limit enough...