The Most Spectacular Crash in 2013.

Started by Papa, November 20, 2013, 03:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ededge2002

Quote" They'll eventually learn to crash like us "experts" I say, you don't stop crashing as you get better, you just CRASH better. Either that or you're not pushing the limit enough..."

I'm the poster child for pushing the limit. I broke a carbon fiber race plane that has the reputation for being unbreakable in the air!  I broke it in the air. The part that demonstrated my "expert"ness was that I did the full speed/full power maneuver front and center on the runway putting the dangerous energy perfectly straight down the runway...  Where the plane spit itself when the tail delaminated. I can still remember that POP sound it made!
Yea 400W/lb should about do it.. But wouldn't a nice round 500 be better?

fprieto

Well,
First of all. Yes.. I crashed my nooner once... lost the motor mount...

And second.. can I include my Tucano on this contest? I simply lost it after taking off... what a mess !!!

wollins

Nobody can beat me at crashing ... NOBODY!  ;D After all which one of you have an award to prove it?  ;)

Colin.
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

battlestu

bah that was in the past ...what have you crashed lately :)

"I'm disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious?"

wollins

Ooops!  What year are we in?  ??? ;D   Ok ... 2013 ... P-51 and Nooner. Twice. ;)

Colin
|
|
|

Three things are certain ... Death, Taxes and CRASHIN'!

flying IT

my vote will have to go to the mid-air between Greg's Spit and Ed's Me109.  I can think of others but this one sticks out the most.

Tom M.

This doesn't qualify for the contest but amusing none the less.  :D
Tom

IMG_3648.MOV

Wingnutz

Whoa!  :o The guys who work where the UMX Extra pilot was flying are nasty! Missile? Dynamite? Lipo detonator? Naw, the battery in the UMX Extra is so small, it'd barely make a poof! I crash my UMX Extra regularly trying to do indoor 3D but nothing that spectacular!
Still, my vote's for Ed's crash..I was there and exploding tiny Hotliner things are quite spectacular! He even crashed under perfect control!(???)
I was there for Rob's Sandringham, Michael's Bronco, Simon's treetopper and Eric's lawndart (heartbreakers all) crashes but Ed's was in a class by itself!
DOWN WITH GRAVITY! UP WITH LEVITY!

gordonbw

I'll nominate myself... Cularis wing joiner fails with a mighty "crack" behind the flight line and a shower of foam descends on the driveway just as Glenn pulls in.  So embarrassing!

imran13

I say either Rob's Sandringham or Imran H's Leader when it went nose first into the beans from about a hundred feet up.
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

thehaze

I'd like to point out that none of the nominees occurred during Wednesday night flight instruction. I'm going to take that as an indicator that things went well this summer.

Although watching as the wings ripped off a Bixler I was buddy boxing with someone on was pretty spectacular. No amount of releasing the trainer button was going to change the outcome of that scenario.

Takeoffs are optional. Landings are mandatory.

eric

Wow, all these planes going in with an explosion of parts! Although heartbreaking to me, my Norseman prang in no way qualifies for a "spectacular crash"; it just kind of buried itself in the muck with a dull thud. There were no bits and pieces flying, they actually went the other way and burrowed into the goop - quite mundane actually.

All control was lost, the failsafes failed and the model slowly rolled to the left at about 30 feet up and 100 feet away. By the time it went in, it was on a knife edge at about a 45 degree down angle. The throtttle was off but the motor was running at about 1/2 throttle and nothing else would respond. A subsequent range check on a few other models showed loss of any control at 25 feet, with the motor cycling up and down. The transmitter simply stopped working properly due to, as far as I can figure, a software glitch that I have since found is common to that radio. Ken Coleman crashed 3 planes due to the same gremlin before tracing the cause to his transmitter. 

I finally got up the gumption tonight to remove the mess from the large garbage bag it was consigned to. Its ugly to look at, but appears re-buildable with a ton of work. I've just finished building a rubber powered, free flight Guillows Lancer, converting it to electric RC for indoor flying, so now I guess its "resurrect the Norseman" time.

Eric

piker

I'm really glad to hear that, Eric!  Good luck with the rebuild!

Papa

I'm glad you are repairing it. It was too nice not to.
Will you do a blog of your repairs?
I think we would all benefit from it.

jack.
A motto to live by:
"What other people think of me is none of my business"

imran13

Actually Mike, Imran's Leader DID crash on a Wednesday night... Sorry to spoil your mood  ;)
Truly superior pilots are those who use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.